From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive error from SMART
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 17:21:10
1 On Sat, Apr 16, 2022 at 10:59 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I have googled and can not find a way to reset udev and it naming
4 > drives. I may have to rework some things since the drive kept the sdk
5 > instead of switching to sdd when I made the physical change. Thing is,
6 > I suspect it will when I reboot the next time.
7
8 IMO it is best to make that not matter. If you're referencing drives
9 by letter in configuration files, you're just asking for some change
10 to re-order things and cause problems.
11
12 You're using LVM, so all the drives should be assembled based on their
13 embedded metadata. It is fine to reference whatever temporary device
14 name you're using when running pvmove/pvcreate since that doesn't
15 really get stored anywhere. If you are directly mounting anything
16 without using LVM then it is best to use labels/uuids/etc to identify
17 partitions.
18
19 > It also triggered
20 > messages from SMART too. It got upset that it couldn't find sdd anymore.
21
22 That is typical when hotswapping. I believe smartd only scans drives
23 at startup, and of course if a drive does go offline it isn't a bad
24 thing that it is noisy about it. From a quick read of the manpage
25 SIGHUP might or might not get it to rescan the drives, and if not you
26 can just restart it. The daemon works by polling so if there are any
27 pending issues they should still get picked up after restarting the
28 daemon.
31 Rich