From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive error from SMART
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 14:59:34
1 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Am Fri, Apr 15, 2022 at 10:49:21AM -0500 schrieb Dale:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> I got the drive and pvmove is doing its thing.  I would like to unplug
6 >> one of the drives and physically move them around without shutting down
7 >> my system.  Is there a way to tell LVM to disable the drives while I'm
8 >> doing this and restart them when done?
9 > Be aware that SATA hot-plugging must be enabled in the BIOS for each
10 > individual SATA port (at least that’s the case on my board). I’m not sure
11 > what a difference it actually makes, though.
15 I enabled that the first time I cut the system on after building it.  I
16 couldn't think of any reason not to have it enabled really.  It would be
17 like making USB require rebooting before plugging/unplugging something.
18 Certainly better than the old IDE days.
19
20 I have googled and can not find a way to reset udev and it naming
21 drives.  I may have to rework some things since the drive kept the sdk
22 instead of switching to sdd when I made the physical change.  Thing is,
23 I suspect it will when I reboot the next time.  It also triggered
24 messages from SMART too.  It got upset that it couldn't find sdd anymore.
25
26 Dale
27