From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive error from SMART
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 17:22:31
1 On Saturday, 16 April 2022 15:59:25 BST Dale wrote:
2 > Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
3 > > Am Fri, Apr 15, 2022 at 10:49:21AM -0500 schrieb Dale:
4 > >> Howdy,
5 > >>
6 > >> I got the drive and pvmove is doing its thing. I would like to unplug
7 > >> one of the drives and physically move them around without shutting down
8 > >> my system. Is there a way to tell LVM to disable the drives while I'm
9 > >> doing this and restart them when done?
10 > >
11 > > Be aware that SATA hot-plugging must be enabled in the BIOS for each
12 > > individual SATA port (at least that’s the case on my board). I’m not sure
13 > > what a difference it actually makes, though.
14 >
15 > I enabled that the first time I cut the system on after building it. I
16 > couldn't think of any reason not to have it enabled really. It would be
17 > like making USB require rebooting before plugging/unplugging something.
18 > Certainly better than the old IDE days.
19 >
20 > I have googled and can not find a way to reset udev and it naming
21 > drives. I may have to rework some things since the drive kept the sdk
22 > instead of switching to sdd when I made the physical change. Thing is,
23 > I suspect it will when I reboot the next time. It also triggered
24 > messages from SMART too. It got upset that it couldn't find sdd anymore.
25 >
26 > Dale
27 >
29
30 Have a look at this post. It explains why you could end up with a race
31 condition if you set up udev rules to name disks in different order than what
32 the kernel assigns:
33
34 https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/udev-persistent-disk-name-4175450519/#post4893847