From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive error from SMART
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 18:02:14
1 Michael wrote:
2 > On Saturday, 16 April 2022 15:59:25 BST Dale wrote:
3 >> Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
4 >>> Am Fri, Apr 15, 2022 at 10:49:21AM -0500 schrieb Dale:
5 >>>> Howdy,
6 >>>>
7 >>>> I got the drive and pvmove is doing its thing. I would like to unplug
8 >>>> one of the drives and physically move them around without shutting down
9 >>>> my system. Is there a way to tell LVM to disable the drives while I'm
10 >>>> doing this and restart them when done?
11 >>> Be aware that SATA hot-plugging must be enabled in the BIOS for each
12 >>> individual SATA port (at least that’s the case on my board). I’m not sure
13 >>> what a difference it actually makes, though.
14 >> I enabled that the first time I cut the system on after building it. I
15 >> couldn't think of any reason not to have it enabled really. It would be
16 >> like making USB require rebooting before plugging/unplugging something.
17 >> Certainly better than the old IDE days.
18 >>
19 >> I have googled and can not find a way to reset udev and it naming
20 >> drives. I may have to rework some things since the drive kept the sdk
21 >> instead of switching to sdd when I made the physical change. Thing is,
22 >> I suspect it will when I reboot the next time. It also triggered
23 >> messages from SMART too. It got upset that it couldn't find sdd anymore.
24 >>
25 >> Dale
26 >>
27 >> :-) :-)
28 > Have a look at this post. It explains why you could end up with a race
29 > condition if you set up udev rules to name disks in different order than what
30 > the kernel assigns:
31 >
32 > https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/udev-persistent-disk-name-4175450519/#post4893847
33
34 I think I've read about that before.  Gonna read it in a minute.  What
35 I'd like is a way to reset it back to like it would be with a fresh
36 install for example.  I figure there is a config file somewhere that
37 stores this sort of thing but no clue where it is tho.
38
39 Oh well.  Maybe one day.  ;-)
40
41 Dale