From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Advice/best practices for a new Gentoo installation
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 16:34:43
1 Willie Wong writes:
2
3 > On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 12:52:55PM +0100, Alex Schuster wrote:
4
5 > > I thought the small files of the portage tree especially profit from
6 > > the notail option in reiserfs? Did you change the block size?
7 >
8 > You mean the other way around, right?
9
10 Oh dear. Yes. Thanks.
11
12 > reiser defaults to tail-packing,
13 > which can cause problems with GRUB and LILO, which is why notail is an
14 > option which turns off tail-packing for those crazy enough to use
15 > reiser on /boot.
16 >
17 > If you use notail on the portage tree, you get rid of that advantage,
18 > then Neil is absolutely correct: there's not too much point in
19 > journaling the portage tree, and if you actively make reiser
20 > not-competitive on the storage-space direction, the only metric left
21 > to compare is speed, and ext2 is faster.
22 >
23 > Incidentally, if you are willing to sacrifice speed for space, then a
24 > sparsefile for /usr/portage may also be an option.
25
26 I had this once on a smaller machine, but now I'd prefer it the other way
27 around, there's plenty of space available. I have 15G for distfiles and
28 pkgdir, so I don't worry about some 100MB for the portage tree.
29
30 Wonko