From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Advice/best practices for a new Gentoo installation
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 12:28:07
1 On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 12:52:55PM +0100, Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick writes:
3 >
4 > > On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 10:35:42 +0100, Alex Schuster wrote:
5 > > > > - best filesystem for portage? something compressed or with small
6 > > > > cluster size maybe.
7 > > >
8 > > > I think reiserfs with the notail option is recommended.
9 > >
10 > > The data I've seen indicates that ext2 is fastest, that's what I use.
11 >
12 > I thought the small files of the portage tree especially profit from the
13 > notail option in reiserfs? Did you change the block size?
14
15 You mean the other way around, right? reiser defaults to tail-packing,
16 which can cause problems with GRUB and LILO, which is why notail is an
17 option which turns off tail-packing for those crazy enough to use
18 reiser on /boot.
19
20 If you use notail on the portage tree, you get rid of that advantage,
21 then Neil is absolutely correct: there's not too much point in
22 journaling the portage tree, and if you actively make reiser
23 not-competitive on the storage-space direction, the only metric left
24 to compare is speed, and ext2 is faster.
25
26 Incidentally, if you are willing to sacrifice speed for space, then a
27 sparsefile for /usr/portage may also be an option.
28
29 W
30 --
31 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
32 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
33 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton