From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new install for a new mainboard?
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 16:44:11
1 On 10/12/2020 21:18, n952162 wrote:
2 >
3 > On 12/10/20 7:18 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >> On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 10:23 AM n952162 <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
5 >>> I need a new mainboard.  What will happen if I boot my existing system
6 >>> on it?
7 >> Is the CPU going to be the same?  The responses already cover the
8 >> mainboard itself well.  If the CPU could change then you need to check
9 >> your -march in CFLAGS for compatibility (if you set it) and
10 >> potentially rebuild anything you don't want to break.
13 > How would I do that?  Would I have to set up a cross-compiler toolchain?
16 I don't remember the details, but what I'd do is set the CPU to
17 something basic like x86_64. Then do an "emerge -e system", so at least
18 enough is there to guarantee your system will boot.
19
20 Then, if the new system does fail to get beyond the basic command line,
21 you can change the CPU back to native, do an "emerge -e world", and you
22 should have your system back.
23
24 Bit of a long-winded hassle, but it should work ...
25
26 Cheers,
27 Wol