From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Install Windows XP on Gentoo Laptop
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 03:35:01
1 On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 7:09 PM, deface <deface@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Some OEM disks give you no alternative but to format all. Such as a
3 > recovery partition. Always XP first.
4 >
5 > deface
9 > On Sat, 2008-05-03 at 01:27 +0000, James wrote:
10 > > Michael Higgins <linux <at> evolone.org> writes:
13 > > > I have a laptop with a spare partition waiting for WinXP, to install
14 > > > from Dell OEM disks that came originally.
15 > >
16 > > > Is this possible? I understand XP will overwrite the MBR. So, I'd have
17 > > > to re-install grub & that's it? '-)
18 > >
19 > > The easiest thing to do is install XP first. Then use the microsoft utilities
20 > > (I forget the name) to shrink down the size of the partition (usually about
21 > > 50%). Then install Gentoo in the space that XP is not occupying.
24 > > James
25
26 Just a small heads-up about my installation of WinXP today on the
27 laptop that went down last night. No problems installing Gentoo. It's
28 up and running. Double built emerge -e world. However on the Windows
29 side my OEM had installed Vista which I didn't like so I installed XP
30 today. No problems installing XP (as per a previous thread) however I
31 have no sound, video, audio or networking drivers for XP. I think I
32 found some at the nVidia site but HP/Compaq don't want to support XP
33 so they don't have them. The nVidia instructions say I have to install
34 Service Pack 1a first and without networking I had to scrounge around
35 for those, burn them to a CD, and hopefully get them installed
36 tomorrow.
37
38 The basic lesson is that M$ pushes the OEMs to abandon XP and its
39 getting harder and harder to install XP all the time.
40
41 Just a small heads-up. Not an issue if you like the version of Windows
42 your system came with.
43
44 Cheers,
45 Mark