From: "Randolph Maaßen" <r.maassen60@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ntfs-3g problem (I suppose) - locking system
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 07:45:58
1 2013/3/15 Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
2
3 > Hello.
4 >
5 > During some months now, this machine was (and still is, sometimes)
6 > suffering from a strange progressive lock down. It always has begun with
7 > the web browser, passing to the whole X environment, and finally I could
8 > not even use a console.
9 >
10 > After several trial and error actions, as no log entry could give any hint
11 > on what is going on, it seems that I found something consistent.
12 >
13 > This machine is a dual-boot Linux/Windows, as my wife once in a while
14 > needs to work on a Windows O.S. . The lock down starts when she saves a
15 > file received by e-mail in a ntfs-3g mounted partition, so that file would
16 > also be accessible whenever she uses Windows.
17 >
18 > The reason why I suspect of ntfs-3g is that when the lock down starts,
19 > that is, if only the web browser locks, just unmounting (and mounting back
20 > later) that partition, recovers the web browser functionality. Sometimes,
21 > when the lock down has already affected the whole graphic environment, but
22 > I still may use a console, again unmounting that same partition also
23 > unlocks everithing.
24 >
25 > I have already tried to emerge ntfs-3g with different use flags, but the
26 > problem persists. Even built a new kernel and re-emerged ntfs-3g after
27 > that. Now ntfs-3g package is using its own "fuse".
28 >
29 > I would really appreciate any hints on what to do or where to look for any
30 > more information on this subject. Perhaps I am still looking at an effect,
31 > and not the cause.
32 >
33 > Thanks
34 > Francisco
35 >
36 > --
37 > "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you
38 > and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have
39 > one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas."
40 > - George Bernard Shaw
43 Have you had a look at dmesg after lock / unlock?
44
45 driver oriented problems should show up here
48 Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
49
50 Randolph Maaßen