From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ntfs-3g problem (I suppose) - locking system
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 01:28:17
1 2013/3/15 Randolph Maaßen <r.maassen60@×××××.com>
2
3 > 2013/3/15 Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
4 >
5 >> Hello.
6 >>
7 >> During some months now, this machine was (and still is, sometimes)
8 >> suffering from a strange progressive lock down. It always has begun with
9 >> the web browser, passing to the whole X environment, and finally I could
10 >> not even use a console.
11 >>
12 >> After several trial and error actions, as no log entry could give any
13 >> hint on what is going on, it seems that I found something consistent.
14 >>
15 >> This machine is a dual-boot Linux/Windows, as my wife once in a while
16 >> needs to work on a Windows O.S. . The lock down starts when she saves a
17 >> file received by e-mail in a ntfs-3g mounted partition, so that file would
18 >> also be accessible whenever she uses Windows.
19 >>
20 >> The reason why I suspect of ntfs-3g is that when the lock down starts,
21 >> that is, if only the web browser locks, just unmounting (and mounting back
22 >> later) that partition, recovers the web browser functionality. Sometimes,
23 >> when the lock down has already affected the whole graphic environment, but
24 >> I still may use a console, again unmounting that same partition also
25 >> unlocks everithing.
26 >>
27 >> I have already tried to emerge ntfs-3g with different use flags, but the
28 >> problem persists. Even built a new kernel and re-emerged ntfs-3g after
29 >> that. Now ntfs-3g package is using its own "fuse".
30 >>
31 >> I would really appreciate any hints on what to do or where to look for
32 >> any more information on this subject. Perhaps I am still looking at an
33 >> effect, and not the cause.
34 >>
35 >> Thanks
36 >> Francisco
37 >>
38 >> --
39 >> "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you
40 >> and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have
41 >> one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas."
42 >> - George Bernard Shaw
45 > Have you had a look at dmesg after lock / unlock?
46 >
47 > driver oriented problems should show up here
48 >
49 > --
50 > Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
51 >
52 > Randolph Maaßen
56 Yes, I did, and nothing shows up. Looks like dmesg has also been affected.
57
58 Thanks
59 Francisco