From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM for data drives but not the OS
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 13:04:56
1 On Thursday 07 April 2011 07:49:55 Dale wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 06:28:40 -0500, Dale wrote:
4 > >>>> I want to do it this way because I don't trust LVM enough to put
5 > >>>> my
6 > >>>> OS on. Just my personal opinion on LVM.
7 > >>>
8 > >>> This doesn't make sense. Your OS can be reinstalled in an hour or
9 > >>> two,
10 > >>> your photos etc. are irreplaceable.
11 > >>
12 > >> It does to me. I want to keep things so that if there is a problem, I
13 > >> know how to fix it or can at least get to a point that I can get help
14 > >> on it. If LVM fails and I can't boot, then I loose everything on LVM
15 > >> because I would have to reinstall from scratch. If it fails just on
16 > >> my
17 > >> data stuff, I can get help and fix it because I can still boot up and
18 > >> get to my email program.
19 > >
20 > > We have these things called live CDs and webmail :P
21 > >
22 > > Bear in mind that LVM has been around for years. It is proven and
23 > > reliable. Once setup, you don't have to touch it, so you can't break
24 > > it. The least trustworthy part of your system remains the user.
25 >
26 > Since I have no experience with LVM, that is the part I am worried
27 > about. If I knew everything you, Alan, Joost and others knew, I'd just
28 > install everything on it and hope for the best. I'm concerned that if
29 > something did go wrong and I couldn't get help, I'd loose everything. I
30 > don't have any way to back up this much data. I hate webmail. I guess
31 > I could but that would just get on my nerves something bad.
32
33 GMails webmail isn't too bad, tbh :)
34 I agree though, it's difficult to back up all the data and I have actually
35 decided to only back-up a subset of what I have on the server.
36 It also helps to have more then 1 system when something does go wrong.
37 Even a small laptop (netbook-style) that can connect is of great help.
38
39 I don't think I know everything, but I do tend to be lucky enough to be able
40 to find the info I need online. Then again, internet usage is a bit more
41 widespread where I live.
42
43 > Why is it that whenever I think I have found a good drive that is in the
44 > 1 to 2Tb range, it has awful reviews? Things like DOA, died after a few
45 > hours, days or weeks of use. This has me concerned. I have yet to have
46 > a drive go bad but are they making crap nowadays or what?
47
48 Short answer: yes :)
49 Long answer: the drives are getting a higher density the whole time which
50 makes them more difficult to produce.
51 Also, companies have found it's cheaper to offer free warranty-replacements
52 then make more reliable drives in the first place.
53 Never mind most people only have the computer running for a few hours a day.
54 Not like some of us who have them running 24/7 :)
55
56 I currently use WD's Green drives in my server and they do tend to be reliable
57 as long as they can be kept decently cooled.
60 Joost