From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM for data drives but not the OS
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 12:51:19
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 06:28:40 -0500, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> I want to do it this way because I don't trust LVM enough to put my
6 >>>> OS on. Just my personal opinion on LVM.
7 >>>>
8 >>>>
9 >>> This doesn't make sense. Your OS can be reinstalled in an hour or two,
10 >>> your photos etc. are irreplaceable.
11 >>>
12 >>>
13 >>>
14 >> It does to me. I want to keep things so that if there is a problem, I
15 >> know how to fix it or can at least get to a point that I can get help
16 >> on it. If LVM fails and I can't boot, then I loose everything on LVM
17 >> because I would have to reinstall from scratch. If it fails just on my
18 >> data stuff, I can get help and fix it because I can still boot up and
19 >> get to my email program.
20 >>
21 > We have these things called live CDs and webmail :P
22 >
23 > Bear in mind that LVM has been around for years. It is proven and
24 > reliable. Once setup, you don't have to touch it, so you can't break
25 > it. The least trustworthy part of your system remains the user.
30 Since I have no experience with LVM, that is the part I am worried
31 about. If I knew everything you, Alan, Joost and others knew, I'd just
32 install everything on it and hope for the best. I'm concerned that if
33 something did go wrong and I couldn't get help, I'd loose everything. I
34 don't have any way to back up this much data. I hate webmail. I guess
35 I could but that would just get on my nerves something bad.
36
37 Why is it that whenever I think I have found a good drive that is in the
38 1 to 2Tb range, it has awful reviews? Things like DOA, died after a few
39 hours, days or weeks of use. This has me concerned. I have yet to have
40 a drive go bad but are they making crap nowadays or what?
41
42 Dale
43