From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM for data drives but not the OS
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 11:41:49
1 On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 06:28:40 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > >> I want to do it this way because I don't trust LVM enough to put my
4 > >> OS on. Just my personal opinion on LVM.
5 > >>
6 > > This doesn't make sense. Your OS can be reinstalled in an hour or two,
7 > > your photos etc. are irreplaceable.
11 > It does to me. I want to keep things so that if there is a problem, I
12 > know how to fix it or can at least get to a point that I can get help
13 > on it. If LVM fails and I can't boot, then I loose everything on LVM
14 > because I would have to reinstall from scratch. If it fails just on my
15 > data stuff, I can get help and fix it because I can still boot up and
16 > get to my email program.
17
18 We have these things called live CDs and webmail :P
19
20 Bear in mind that LVM has been around for years. It is proven and
21 reliable. Once setup, you don't have to touch it, so you can't break
22 it. The least trustworthy part of your system remains the user.
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 First Law of Laboratory Work:
29 Hot glass looks exactly the same as cold glass.