From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM for data drives but not the OS
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 13:06:31
1 On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 07:49:55 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > > Bear in mind that LVM has been around for years. It is proven and
4 > > reliable. Once setup, you don't have to touch it, so you can't break
5 > > it. The least trustworthy part of your system remains the user.
6
7 > Since I have no experience with LVM, that is the part I am worried
8 > about. If I knew everything you, Alan, Joost and others knew, I'd just
9 > install everything on it and hope for the best. I'm concerned that if
10 > something did go wrong and I couldn't get help, I'd loose everything.
11 > I don't have any way to back up this much data. I hate webmail. I
12 > guess I could but that would just get on my nerves something bad.
13
14 In that case, set up a small physical volume and create a volume group
15 that holds nothing important. Do you best to break it and only when you
16 fail should you consider putting anything of any importance on there.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.