From: "Güray Sen" <seng@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install hangs while "Scanning for ata_piix"
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:25:36
1 Installed another motherboard (Asus p4P800SE) and this works fine IF I
2 set these options in the BIOS under IDE config:
3
4 Onboard PCI IDE Operate Mode [Enhanced Mode]
5 Enhanced Mode Support On [S-ATA]
6 Configure S-ATA as RAID [No]
7
8 Changing Enhanced Mode Support On [S-ATA] to Enhanced Mode Support On
9 [P-ATA+S-ATA] would give the same errors as in my first post.
10
11 Note that with the above BIOS settings, the BIOS does not recognize my
12 P-ATA IDE drive (strangely enough it does recognise the CDROM drive),
13 but the gentoo install does (so not a big deal really).
14
15 Güray Sen wrote:
16 > Hi there,
17 >
18 > Trying to re-install Gentoo with the following drive config:
19 > 1 IDE 120GB HD on primary IDE channel as master
20 > 2 IDE CDROM drive on secondary IDE channel as master
21 > 3 S-ATA 160GB HD on first S-ATA channel
22 > 4 S-ATA 160GB HD on second S-ATA channel
23 >
24 > I want to install Gentoo on both S-ATA disks and use the IDE disk as a
25 > backup device (it already contains a backup so it may not be touched
26 > during installation).
27 >
28 > Made sure the BIOS recognised all drives and booted up the 2005.1
29 > LiveCD. After the entering gentoo at the boot: prompt, the installation
30 > just hangs at
32 > :: Scanning for ata_piix
33 >
34 > I also tried boot: gentoo doscsi, but to no avail.
35 >
36 > FWIW, this is on a A-Open AX4SG motherboard.
37 >
38 > Does anyone know how to get past the Scanning for ata_piix?
39 > Many thanks
40 >
41 > ps: If I specify boot: gentoo noload=ata_piix, setup continues but later
42 > hangs after
43 > * Coldplugging PCI devices ...
44 --
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list