From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dual Layer burn program
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 17:48:57
1 On Monday 18 December 2006 00:30, Dale wrote:
2 > Luigi Pinna wrote:
3 > > Hi!
4 > > How can I burn a 8.5 GByte iso? I tried with k3b and I receive an error
5 > > and growisofs failed at 99.9% with input/output error.
6 > > I searched in portage but I didn't find a program with dual layer
7 > > support. Nero didn't work (trial version already expired).
8 > > Thanks,
9 > > Luigi
10 >
11 > You may want to check the archives. I think someone else had this issue
12 > and found a fix or a program to use. I don't have a DVD burner so I
13 > wasn't following to closely.
14 >
15 > Maybe someone can shed some light on this better if you can't find it in
16 > archives. Someone with a better memory.
17
18 It was probably one of those wild threads of mine? :))
19
20 However, I was trying to burn a Double Layer DVD+R as opposed to a Dual Layer
21 DVD-R with what seems to be a low end DVD writer. After a number of rather
22 expensive coasters and days of headache from excessive googling, I came to
23 the conclusion that Double Layer burning is as temperamental as CD burning
24 was 15 years ago. From what I ascertained the brand of the DVD media is more
25 important than any other parameter that I could I find. Someone suggested
26 using Verbatim, but I haven't yet bought any to try, because I could only
27 find them in packs of 10 last time I looked. By that time I had reached the
28 no return point whereby any additional penny would be better spent buying a
29 more expensive DVD writer in the hope of it being compatible with more DVD
30 brands. Then HD-DVD and Blue-Ray appeared in the horizon and decided that I
31 could wait after all.
32
33 Good luck and post back if you find a DVD brand that works with your writer.
34
35 PS. K3B should be able to record DL DVD
36 --
37 Regards,
38 Mick