From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gnome login panel how to disable restart and shutdown buttons
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 18:12:32
1 On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 10:21 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Computers are a big portion of the bill around here and learning how
5 >> to reduce power is high on my priorities for the next few months. I'm
6 >> not sure how to handle a multi-use box like this. It's an 8-thread i7
7 >> processor. I was wondering about powering off certain core when the
8 >> machine isn't doing much. Does Intel hardware do that? I need to
9 >> determine how much power is in the processor, the chipset, memory, the
10 >> disk drives. The machine is 3-drive RAID1 using data center drives.
11 >> The WD Green drives just didn't work for RAID. I'm sure 3 drives is
12 >> adding to my power consumption, but maybe they can be spun down more
13 >> often. Myth recordings are currently stored on an external USB drive,
14 >> so that's more power.
15 >
16 > Supposedly enabled and idle cores use even less power than disabled
17 > cores because of the way the i7 handles C6 state. Intel claims power
18 > usage in this state is approximately zero (not even any leakage).
19 >
20 > Enable C1E and EIST in your BIOS (they are powersaving options),
21 > enable CPU frequency scaling in your Kernel and use ondemand governor
22 > (As you would on a laptop). Disable unused network interfaces or SATA
23 > controllers etc. in BIOS.
24 >
25 > NVidia cards using the proprietary drivers have powersaving and
26 > underclocking options (enable the option "Coolbits" in your xorg.conf
27 > and then use nvidia-settings to see these extra options)
28 >
29 > I don't know if PSUs consume more power than necessary. For example if
30 > you have a 650W power supply but could have gotten by with 380W, could
31 > you save energy by using the smaller one? I'm not an electrical
32 > engineer. :)
33 >
34 > My new system has Samsung drives that seem to have a pretty aggressive
35 > spindown time (at least compared to my old ones, which never
36 > spundown). I was concerned about this in my RAID5 but what I have
37 > really learned was how often my disks are idle. The spindown isn't so
38 > aggressive that it happens while I'm actively using the system.
39 >
40 > I am curious if enabling laptop-mode would have any positive effect on
41 > a desktop that has these CPU & HDD power saving features? Or perhaps
42 > disabling swap entirely and putting temp directories in /dev/shm.
43 > Basically the same kind of techniques people having been using on
44 > laptops for years to reduce disk activity and power consumption. It's
45 > an experiment for a rainy day :)
49 Really great info and ideas Paul. Thanks.
50
51 I've been playing a lot with power measurements here in my home
52 office. I've got three machines each with their own UPS, two internet
53 connections, 5 monitors, a couple of switches. It all adds up. It's
54 been interesting to look at where the power goes.
55
56 Keep in mind that my incremental power costs right now are $0.42/KWH.
57 For monthly costs I use 24*365/12 = 730 hours/month.
58
59 1) Everything shut off except the power strip plugged into the wall. 5
60 Watts. Just this power strip plugged into the wall driving 3 UPS's
61 that are turned off costs me $1.53/month. For a power strip? (It has a
62 green and red light!)
63
64 2) With all the computers and monitors turned off but the UPS's
65 powered on I used about 25 Watts, so that's about $7.50/month.
66
67 3) At idle the laptop uses 75 Watts with no external monitors, 125
68 Watts with a 23" external monitor. IF I have it on 16 hours/ day
69 that's about 2KWH per day or 61KWH/month for a $25 bill.
70
71 4) My new i5-661 desktop driving two external monitors actually uses
72 the same 125 Watts as the laptop so that's another $25/month.
73
74 5) My new number cruncher based on the i7-980x with 12GB DRAM, 5 hard
75 drives and two external monitors is about double that at 260 Watts.
76 Simply for power consumption reasons I cannot afford to run it 16
77 hours per day, and I don't need it that much anyway, so I only turn it
78 on when I have a few days worth of number crunching to do. It's
79 probably costing me $10-$20/month since it's on less than 20% of the
80 time.
81
82 All in all it turns out I'm spending close to $75/month ($1K/year)
83 just in my office!
84
85 Getting power down is important to me!
86
87 - Mark