From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How the HAL are you supposed to use these files?
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 15:36:55
1 On 2/10/2010 2:12 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 10 February 2010 03:29:50 Dale wrote:
3 >> Well, actually, if hal would have worked I wouldn't have cared if it
4 >> uses xorg.conf at all. That was the point of using hal. Thing is, I
5 >> followed the howto and it didn't work. The fact that the config files
6 >> are in xml only became a problem after hal locked me out of my GUI and
7 >> required a hard shutdown.
10 > hal is a classic "Second System Effect" case
11 >
12 > But I thought we thrashed this to death a while ago and all agreed to never
13 > speak of this abomination again, while we await the Third System Effect aka
14 > DeviceKit?
17 Last I heard DeviceKit was "deprecated before it even happened" and
18 they're just going to move everything into udev.
19
20 --Mike