From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge ---p --depclean - check me...
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 14:19:31
1 On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Hmmm... what is pciutils used for? From a little googling, it seems like it
3 > is a tool that I would manually have to use, not something required by the
4 > system itself for anything that happens automatically (ie, at boot time)?
7 It provides the lspci utility, which is handy when you are trying to
8 figure out what drivers to enable in your kernel.
9
10 > If so, I've never used it that I can recall, so I guess I can let depclean
11 > remove it?
14 Yes.
15
16 > As for gpm... this is the 'general purpose mouse server'? If so, guess I
17 > don't need this either, since this is a VM without a gui?
20 gpm allows you to use a mouse to copy/paste from the Linux text
21 console. You need to start the daemon for that to work.
22
23 It's not "needed".