From: Ken Gypen <glider@×××××××.be>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 16:49:27
1 On 2008-01-13 16:29:15 (+0000), Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:53:48 +0100, Michael Schmarck wrote:
3 >
4 > > > You also need the handbook, a portage snapshot and a stage tarball.
5 > > > How many live CDs provide these?
6 > >
7 > > None. But the portage snapshot is best fetched from the web
8 > > anyway, as far as I'm concerned. Same with the handbook, as
9 > > it may contain (theoritcal) up-to-the minute corrections.
10 > >
11 > > So, the portage snapshot and handbook don't have to on the
12 > > Live CD.
13 >
14 > No, but it's a lot easier if they are when doing a networkless install.
15
16 I think that's what the whole discussion here is about. Should Gentoo
17 become an elite meta-distro or do we actually want 'less then ultimate
18 geek' people using it. A lot of the very verbal people over here seem to
19 want the former.
20
21 I agree that Gentoo shouldn't become an Ubuntu like distro, but the
22 minimal install cd is, at least for me, a requirement.
23
24 If there's too much work for the current devs then they should do
25 something about it. After the whole p.g.o mess a lot of people,
26 including myself, offered to become a dev. But I'm still awaiting
27 replies from 3-4 herds.
28
29 The whole discussion going on over here has a much deeper cause, lack of
30 leadership. Every dev does what seems best for him or his herd, but the
31 bigger whole seems to be lacking a lot. And I'm affraid that untill
32 deeper problems are solved, Gentoo will keep losing users and more
33 important, keep losing credability.
34
35 Regards,
36