From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can I (partially) rebuild a package with emerge?
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 16:46:55
1 On Thursday 17 December 2009 17:14:48 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hi, Neil,
3 >
4 > On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 10:05:40PM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 > > On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 20:44:29 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
6 > > > I've just emerged xorg-x11, and noticed that I had a wrong setting
7 > > > for VIDEO_CARDS in /etc/make.conf. Does emerge have a facility to
8 > > > rebuild only those portions of xorg-x11 dependent on that setting,
9 > > > or do I have to start again from scratch? I've perused the emerge
10 > > > man page, but not found this situation addressed.
11 > >
12 > > VIDEO_CARDS sets USE flags, so emerge -uavDN world.
13 >
14 > I've done that, but it failed to rebuild my xorg-x11. I've still got
15 > the version from last night, even though I've changed USE flags (via
16 > setting VIDEO_CARDS) in /etc/make.conf.
17 >
18 > /etc/make.conf has a later timestamp than /usr/bin/Xorg, yet this
19 > doesn't trigger the -N flag. I'm misunderstanding something significant
20 > here. The emerge man page is not explicit in how it determines "new"
21 > USE flags.
22 >
23 > If I wanted just to remove Xorg, together with the 188 other packages
24 > installed with it, would it be correct to run these commands:
25 >
26 > emerge --unmerge xorg-x11
27 > emerge --depclean
28
29 timestamps on make.conf are utterly irrelevant here.
30
31 Portage has determined that you apparently do not need to update X.org so it
32 hasn't. You will have to look in the ebuilds to see exactly what the drivers
33 depend on, but obviously it is different to what you have assumed.
34
35 X and it's drivers are special in some regards - the dependencies cannot be
36 automatically fulfilled in all cases. So it is better to use the code snippet
37 in the xorg-server ebuild to determine your used drivers and rebuild those
38 manually. Use the -1 flag to avoid polluting worlld
42 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com