From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can I (partially) rebuild a package with emerge?
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 15:09:22
1 Hi, Neil,
2
3 On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 10:05:40PM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 20:44:29 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5
6 > > I've just emerged xorg-x11, and noticed that I had a wrong setting
7 > > for VIDEO_CARDS in /etc/make.conf. Does emerge have a facility to
8 > > rebuild only those portions of xorg-x11 dependent on that setting,
9 > > or do I have to start again from scratch? I've perused the emerge
10 > > man page, but not found this situation addressed.
11
12 > VIDEO_CARDS sets USE flags, so emerge -uavDN world.
13
14 I've done that, but it failed to rebuild my xorg-x11. I've still got
15 the version from last night, even though I've changed USE flags (via
16 setting VIDEO_CARDS) in /etc/make.conf.
17
18 /etc/make.conf has a later timestamp than /usr/bin/Xorg, yet this
19 doesn't trigger the -N flag. I'm misunderstanding something significant
20 here. The emerge man page is not explicit in how it determines "new"
21 USE flags.
22
23 If I wanted just to remove Xorg, together with the 188 other packages
24 installed with it, would it be correct to run these commands:
25
26 emerge --unmerge xorg-x11
27 emerge --depclean
28