From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can I (partially) rebuild a package with emerge?
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 16:12:18
1 On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 15:14:48 +0000, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi, Neil,
3 >
4 > On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 10:05:40PM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 >> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 20:44:29 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
6 >
7 >> > I've just emerged xorg-x11, and noticed that I had a wrong setting
8 >> > for VIDEO_CARDS in /etc/make.conf. Does emerge have a facility to
9 >> > rebuild only those portions of xorg-x11 dependent on that setting,
10 >> > or do I have to start again from scratch? I've perused the emerge
11 >> > man page, but not found this situation addressed.
12 >
13 >> VIDEO_CARDS sets USE flags, so emerge -uavDN world.
14 >
15 > I've done that, but it failed to rebuild my xorg-x11. I've still got
16 > the version from last night, even though I've changed USE flags (via
17 > setting VIDEO_CARDS) in /etc/make.conf.
18
19 First, as I said in my other mail, the only relevant package that needs to
20 be rebuilt is xorg-server, nothing else. The drivers you add will be built
21 afresh as well as dependencies for xorg-server.
22
23 Second, xorg-x11 is *nothing*. It's just a meta package that pulls
24 dependencies, it doesn't actually install a single file on your hard disk,
25 and it doesn't compile anything at all. So, re-emerging it will do nothing.
26
27 > /etc/make.conf has a later timestamp than /usr/bin/Xorg, yet this
28 > doesn't trigger the -N flag.
29
30 -N flag is not triggered based on time stamps. Each time a package is
31 merged, the USE flags you used the last time you merged it are stored under
32 /var/db/pkg. All -N does is to check if these flags that are stored match
33 the current ones, and if not, the offending package is re-emerged.
34
35 > If I wanted just to remove Xorg, together with the 188 other packages
36 > installed with it, would it be correct to run these commands:
37 >
38 > emerge --unmerge xorg-x11
39 > emerge --depclean
40
41 As long as you didn't emerge any single X package by hand, yes. But it
42 will do nothing to help you, it will not solve your problem. And it's not
43 related to your problem either. You'd just be wasting time.
46 Jesús Guerrero