From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Need help: Filesystem (ext4) corrupted!
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 03:26:34
1 William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> [13-09-03 05:08]:
2 > On 03/09/13 10:45, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > walt <w41ter@×××××.com> [13-09-03 04:15]:
4 > >> On 09/02/2013 09:15 AM, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
5 > >>> The rootfs and $HOME of my embedded system is stored
6 > >>> on a 16GB SD-card (about 5GB used, rest free). The FS
7 > >>> is ext4.
8 > >>>
9 > >>> Since the system hangs for unknown reasons several times
10 > >> Does it hang at a predictable point, like during boot, or poweroff?
11 > >>
12 > >> I know almost nothing about SD cards (yet). Do they develop bad
13 > >> blocks like other storage media? I notice fsck.ext4 has a -c flag
14 > >> to check for bad blocks.
15 > >>
16 > > No, it hangs while compiling or while updateing (eix-sync; emerge ...).
19 > > I did the following now:
20 > > I did a binary image backup with dd of the sdcard.
21 > > I made a backup of the all files from the bad fs with tar.
22 > > I say "YES" to fsck to fix what it found.
23 > > I made another backup of the all files from the bad fs with tar.
24 > > I md5summed both tar archives and found them identical.
25 > >
26 > > Now...is the conclusion correct, that the identical md5sum
27 > > indicate, that the fixed error of the fs only had impact to
28 > > already invalidated data?
29 > > Or whatelse could this indicate?
30 > >
31 > > Best regards,
32 > > mcc
33 > >
34 > > PS: What come mind just in this moment:
35 > > Can I ran fsck on an binary image of the fs which I made with dd somehow?
42 > Have you run out of inodes? - ext 4 has had very mixed success for me on
43 > solid state. Running out of inodes is a real problem for gentoo on
44 > smaller SD cards with standard settings.
45 >
46 > BillK
51 Does this error message from fsck indicate that? I am really bad in
52 guessing what fsck tries to cry at me ... ;)
55 > > solfire:/root>fsck.ext4 -f -p /dev/sdb2
56 > > rootfs: Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.
57 > >
58 > > rootfs: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
59 > > (i.e., without -a or -p options)
60 > > [1] 18644 exit 4 fsck.ext4 -f -p /dev/sdb2
64 Is there any way to correct the settings from the default values to
65 more advances ones, which respect the sdcard size of 16GB *without*
66 blanking it...a "correction on the fly" so to say???
67
68 And if not: Is there a way to backup the sdcard and playback the files
69 after reformatting it by preserving all three time stamps of the
70 files (atime is deactivated via fstab though) ?
71
72 Best regards,
73 mcc