From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Need help: Filesystem (ext4) corrupted!
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 03:07:26
1 On 03/09/13 10:45, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > walt <w41ter@×××××.com> [13-09-03 04:15]:
3 >> On 09/02/2013 09:15 AM, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 >>> The rootfs and $HOME of my embedded system is stored
5 >>> on a 16GB SD-card (about 5GB used, rest free). The FS
6 >>> is ext4.
7 >>>
8 >>> Since the system hangs for unknown reasons several times
9 >> Does it hang at a predictable point, like during boot, or poweroff?
10 >>
11 >> I know almost nothing about SD cards (yet). Do they develop bad
12 >> blocks like other storage media? I notice fsck.ext4 has a -c flag
13 >> to check for bad blocks.
14 >>
15 > No, it hangs while compiling or while updateing (eix-sync; emerge ...).
18 > I did the following now:
19 > I did a binary image backup with dd of the sdcard.
20 > I made a backup of the all files from the bad fs with tar.
21 > I say "YES" to fsck to fix what it found.
22 > I made another backup of the all files from the bad fs with tar.
23 > I md5summed both tar archives and found them identical.
24 >
25 > Now...is the conclusion correct, that the identical md5sum
26 > indicate, that the fixed error of the fs only had impact to
27 > already invalidated data?
28 > Or whatelse could this indicate?
29 >
30 > Best regards,
31 > mcc
32 >
33 > PS: What come mind just in this moment:
34 > Can I ran fsck on an binary image of the fs which I made with dd somehow?
41 Have you run out of inodes? - ext 4 has had very mixed success for me on
42 solid state. Running out of inodes is a real problem for gentoo on
43 smaller SD cards with standard settings.
44
45 BillK