From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: The Big Red Button - was Re: [gentoo-user] Power butten
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 01:22:42
1 Ryan Tandy wrote:
2 > rob wrote:
3 >> How do you get power pitten to shutdown and power off Gentoo box????
4 >>
5 >> rob
6 >
7 > # emerge sys-power/acpid
8 > # rc-update add acpid default
9 > # /etc/init.d/acpid start
10 >
11 > and you're done! The default configuration for acpid includes a handler
12 > for the power button event.
13 >
14 > HTH.
15
16 Just a slight hijacking of this topic,
17 I have a little EPIA server acting as firewall, npt, dhcp, dns,etc,etc.
18 Now even though it doesn't pull a lot of power, I don't want it running
19 all the time, it has something to do with missing ice caps. So I want to
20 build a button that attaches to the machine via, say, usb that when
21 pushed shuts the machine down. By a button I mean that sort of emergency
22 shutdown button that is usually red and used in industrial control, the
23 sort of thing the hero always has to push to save the heroine/world.
24
25 Does anyone here have enough hardware design knowledge to say if this
26 would be easy or not and as to whether I should just lower my sights and
27 stick to the three finger salute or the "normal" on/off switch?
28
29 Regards,
30 Andrew
31
32 p.s. The main reason driving this is that the wife never turns the
33 server off. If I have a Big Red Switch, I can say "But it has a big red
34 switch, how can you miss it????"
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list