From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 15:55:55
1 On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 6:53 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2014-02-20 12:43 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 6:38 AM, Tanstaafl<tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
5 >> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> On 2014-02-19 2:04 AM, Daniel Campbell<lists@××××××××.us> wrote:
8 >>>>
9 >>>>
10 >>>> For such a profile to be legitimate, systemd would have to be chosen as
11 >>>> the default.
12 >>>
13 >>>
14 >>> Ridiculous. Forget about Canek's rant...
15 >>>
16 >>> This is about *choice*. Also, I would argue the *opposite of what Canek
17 >>> is
18 >>> saying in this last rant...
21 >> Tanstaafl, can we please not use terms like "rants"? I'm just giving
22 >> my opinion, trying to be respectful and civil to the others
23 >> participants in this thread. I would appreciate if you do the same to
24 >> me.
27 > Sorry, Canek, no offense was intended, but if you go back and re-read your
28 > 'extremely overly enthusiastic' post (this plus the content is why I
29 > referred to it as a 'rant'),
30
31 Thanks for the explanation.
32
33 > while I agree with most everything you said,
34 > your primary point - that it should be the people who *don't* want systemd
35 > doing all of the work - was backwards, and that was what I wanted to point
36 > out.
37
38 I still believe that a non-systemd profile should be done by the
39 people not wanting to use systemd. But since I now support the systemd
40 profile (since it's trivial) the point is moot.
41
42 > So, please, don't take it as an insult. In fact you have done a very good
43 > job of patiently spelling out the advantages of systemd, to the point I'm no
44 > longer afraid of it taking over and devouring the linux world.
45
46 Thanks.
47
48 > That said, in reality, there is (or should be) nothing inherently insulting
49 > about a claim that something you (or anyone) says was a 'rant'. Pretty much
50 > everyone I know who has strong opinions on things like this rants all the
51 > time. Sometimes those rants have more value/substance than others. A good
52 > rant will provide lots of substantive supporting documentation backing up
53 > the claims in the rant. A bad rant just makes a bunch of baseless claims
54 > and/or personal attacks.
55
56 I don't think I was shouting (which I believe is part of the "rant"
57 definition); but whatever, I now understand you didn't mean any harm
58 and I appreciate it.
59
60 > Bottom line: since Gentoo's default and primary init system is (and
61 > hopefully will be for a very long time) OpenRC, it is on the systemd folks
62 > to do the work to get systemd fully supported.
63
64 Which has been the case up until now.
65
66 Regards.
67 --
68 Canek Peláez Valdés