From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 12:54:15
1 On 2014-02-20 12:43 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 6:38 AM, Tanstaafl<tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> On 2014-02-19 2:04 AM, Daniel Campbell<lists@××××××××.us> wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> For such a profile to be legitimate, systemd would have to be chosen as
6 >>> the default.
7 >>
8 >> Ridiculous. Forget about Canek's rant...
9 >>
10 >> This is about *choice*. Also, I would argue the *opposite of what Canek is
11 >> saying in this last rant...
12
13 > Tanstaafl, can we please not use terms like "rants"? I'm just giving
14 > my opinion, trying to be respectful and civil to the others
15 > participants in this thread. I would appreciate if you do the same to
16 > me.
17
18 Sorry, Canek, no offense was intended, but if you go back and re-read
19 your 'extremely overly enthusiastic' post (this plus the content is why
20 I referred to it as a 'rant'), while I agree with most everything you
21 said, your primary point - that it should be the people who *don't* want
22 systemd doing all of the work - was backwards, and that was what I
23 wanted to point out.
24
25 So, please, don't take it as an insult. In fact you have done a very
26 good job of patiently spelling out the advantages of systemd, to the
27 point I'm no longer afraid of it taking over and devouring the linux world.
28
29 That said, in reality, there is (or should be) nothing inherently
30 insulting about a claim that something you (or anyone) says was a
31 'rant'. Pretty much everyone I know who has strong opinions on things
32 like this rants all the time. Sometimes those rants have more
33 value/substance than others. A good rant will provide lots of
34 substantive supporting documentation backing up the claims in the rant.
35 A bad rant just makes a bunch of baseless claims and/or personal attacks.
36
37 Bottom line: since Gentoo's default and primary init system is (and
38 hopefully will be for a very long time) OpenRC, it is on the systemd
39 folks to do the work to get systemd fully supported.