From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 03:36:23
1 On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 8:53 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2014-02-20 12:43 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 6:38 AM, Tanstaafl<tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
5 >> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> On 2014-02-19 2:04 AM, Daniel Campbell<lists@××××××××.us> wrote:
8 >>>>
9 >>>>
10 >>>> For such a profile to be legitimate, systemd would have to be chosen as
11 >>>> the default.
12 >>>
13 >>>
14 >>> Ridiculous. Forget about Canek's rant...
15 >>>
16 >>> This is about *choice*. Also, I would argue the *opposite of what Canek
17 >>> is
18 >>> saying in this last rant...
21 >> Tanstaafl, can we please not use terms like "rants"? I'm just giving
22 >> my opinion, trying to be respectful and civil to the others
23 >> participants in this thread. I would appreciate if you do the same to
24 >> me.
27 > Sorry, Canek, no offense was intended, but if you go back and re-read your
28 > 'extremely overly enthusiastic' post (this plus the content is why I
29 > referred to it as a 'rant'), while I agree with most everything you said,
30 > your primary point - that it should be the people who *don't* want systemd
31 > doing all of the work - was backwards, and that was what I wanted to point
32 > out.
33
34 I'm afraid this is the part that's backwards.
37 > So, please, don't take it as an insult. In fact you have done a very good
38 > job of patiently spelling out the advantages of systemd, to the point I'm no
39 > longer afraid of it taking over and devouring the linux world.
40
41 If systemd truly is, as you say "taking over and devouring the linux world"
42 such that the majority of distro maintainers are individually choosing
43 to use a feature or two from it, then yes, it definitely is the job of people
44 who want to opt out of it to do the work.
45
46 If Gnome wants systemd, and you don't, but you want to continue using
47 Gnome, it's _your_ job to look for a method or patch or package or script
48 that makes it work.
49
50 If udev wants systemd, and you don't, but you want to continue using
51 udev, it's _your_ job to look for a method or patch or package or script
52 that makes it work.
53
54 If foo wants systemd, and you don't, but you want to continue using
55 foo, it's _your_ job to look for a method or patch or package or script
56 that makes it work.
57
58 If everybody else wants to use systemd but you, it's your job to keep
59 your system working the way you want to.
60
61 Nobody's going to go out of their way to specifically and targettedly break
62 your system, because you don't like their way. However, you can co-opt
63 some package maintainer's way and say he's obligated to make a
64 "pure" and "systemd uncorrupted" system for you. Because he's not.
65
66 > Bottom line: since Gentoo's default and primary init system is (and
67 > hopefully will be for a very long time) OpenRC, it is on the systemd folks
68 > to do the work to get systemd fully supported.
71 systemd IS supported and working. The problem arises when there are
72 people that want to push for a "system with no systemd whatsoever"
73 and act like it's the systemd maintainer's job to make that happen.
76 This email is: [ ] actionable [ ] fyi [x] social
77 Response needed: [ ] yes [x] up to you [ ] no
78 Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [ ] soon [x] none