From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 14:03:15
1 On 2014-02-20 10:36 PM, Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 8:53 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> Sorry, Canek, no offense was intended, but if you go back and re-read your
4 >> 'extremely overly enthusiastic' post (this plus the content is why I
5 >> referred to it as a 'rant'), while I agree with most everything you said,
6 >> your primary point - that it should be the people who *don't* want systemd
7 >> doing all of the work - was backwards, and that was what I wanted to point
8 >> out.
9
10 > I'm afraid this is the part that's backwards.
11
12 You are wrong.
13
14 >> So, please, don't take it as an insult. In fact you have done a very good
15 >> job of patiently spelling out the advantages of systemd, to the point I'm no
16 >> longer afraid of it taking over and devouring the linux world.
17
18 > If systemd truly is, as you say "taking over and devouring the linux world"
19
20 *I* never said that. Others have though, and some still apparently
21 believe this to be the case. Admittedly it is those voices that prompted
22 me to start this thread. I wanted to get opinions from other list
23 members about how systemd is/will/should impact the gentoo community,
24 and I'm glad I did. The result is that I now no longer believe most of
25 the negatives being spread about systemd, and no longer fear that it is
26 'taking over and devouring the linux world'.
27
28 > such that the majority of distro maintainers are individually
29 > choosing to use a feature or two from it, then yes, it definitely is
30 > the job of people who want to opt out of it to do the work.
31
32 You would be right IF - and I repeat IF - it weren't for the little
33 inconvenient fact that OpenRC, not systemd, is the default init system
34 in gentoo, now, and thankfully for the foreseeable future. I say
35 thankfully not because I fear systemd, but because I would much prefer
36 to let systemd mature with others using it to flesh out any bugs or
37 other problems/issues (technical *and* political).
38
39 As long as OpenRC is the default init system in Gentoo, it is on those
40 who want something *other* than OpenRC (ie, systemd) to do the work of
41 implementing it.
42
43 Why is it so difficult to see that?
44
45 Even Canek already acknowledged the correctness of this position.
46
47 >> Bottom line: since Gentoo's default and primary init system is (and
48 >> hopefully will be for a very long time) OpenRC, it is on the systemd folks
49 >> to do the work to get systemd fully supported.
50
51 > systemd IS supported and working. The problem arises when there are
52 > people that want to push for a "system with no systemd whatsoever"
53 > and act like it's the systemd maintainer's job to make that happen.
54
55 Thankfully there is no problem then, since no one is pushing for 'a
56 system with no systemd whatsoever', beyond what exists already.
57
58 All I am interested in is keeping the systemd proponents in their place.
59 As the 'new kid on the block', when 'invading' (for lack of a better
60 term) a new distro (in this case, gentoo), it is *on them* to provide
61 the methods and means for people interested in trying/using systemd on
62 said distro, but most importantly to do so *without* impacting existing
63 users who want to continue using the *existing*, *default* init system
64 for their distro.
65
66 Are you seriously disagreeing with this position?