From: Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 15:23:20
1 On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 09:02:31 -0500
2 Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On 2014-02-20 10:36 PM, Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 8:53 PM, Tanstaafl
6 > > <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
7 > >> Sorry, Canek, no offense was intended, but if you go back and
8 > >> re-read your 'extremely overly enthusiastic' post (this plus the
9 > >> content is why I referred to it as a 'rant'), while I agree with
10 > >> most everything you said, your primary point - that it should be
11 > >> the people who *don't* want systemd doing all of the work - was
12 > >> backwards, and that was what I wanted to point out.
13 >
14 > > I'm afraid this is the part that's backwards.
15 >
16 > You are wrong.
17 >
18 > >> So, please, don't take it as an insult. In fact you have done a
19 > >> very good job of patiently spelling out the advantages of systemd,
20 > >> to the point I'm no longer afraid of it taking over and devouring
21 > >> the linux world.
22 >
23 > > If systemd truly is, as you say "taking over and devouring the
24 > > linux world"
25 >
26 > *I* never said that. Others have though, and some still apparently
27 > believe this to be the case. Admittedly it is those voices that
28 > prompted me to start this thread.
29
30 Do you hear voices? :-)
31
32 > I wanted to get opinions from other
33 > list members about how systemd is/will/should impact the gentoo
34 > community, and I'm glad I did. The result is that I now no longer
35 > believe most of the negatives being spread about systemd, and no
36 > longer fear that it is 'taking over and devouring the linux world'.
37 >
38 > > such that the majority of distro maintainers are individually
39 > > choosing to use a feature or two from it, then yes, it definitely is
40 > > the job of people who want to opt out of it to do the work.
41 >
42 > You would be right IF - and I repeat IF - it weren't for the little
43 > inconvenient fact that OpenRC, not systemd, is the default init
44 > system in gentoo, now, and thankfully for the foreseeable future. I
45 > say thankfully not because I fear systemd, but because I would much
46 > prefer to let systemd mature with others using it to flesh out any
47 > bugs or other problems/issues (technical *and* political).
48 >
49 > As long as OpenRC is the default init system in Gentoo, it is on
50 > those who want something *other* than OpenRC (ie, systemd) to do the
51 > work of implementing it.
52 >
53 > Why is it so difficult to see that?
54 >
55 > Even Canek already acknowledged the correctness of this position.
56 >
57 > >> Bottom line: since Gentoo's default and primary init system is (and
58 > >> hopefully will be for a very long time) OpenRC, it is on the
59 > >> systemd folks to do the work to get systemd fully supported.
60 >
61 > > systemd IS supported and working. The problem arises when there are
62 > > people that want to push for a "system with no systemd whatsoever"
63 > > and act like it's the systemd maintainer's job to make that happen.
64 >
65 > Thankfully there is no problem then, since no one is pushing for 'a
66 > system with no systemd whatsoever', beyond what exists already.
67 >
68 > All I am interested in is keeping the systemd proponents in their
69 > place. As the 'new kid on the block', when 'invading' (for lack of a
70 > better term) a new distro (in this case, gentoo), it is *on them* to
71 > provide the methods and means for people interested in trying/using
72 > systemd on said distro, but most importantly to do so *without*
73 > impacting existing users who want to continue using the *existing*,
74 > *default* init system for their distro.
75 >
76 > Are you seriously disagreeing with this position?
77 >