From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 14:28:55
1 On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 10:02 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2014-02-20 10:36 PM, Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 8:53 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
5 >> wrote:
6 >>> So, please, don't take it as an insult. In fact you have done a very good
7 >>> job of patiently spelling out the advantages of systemd, to the point I'm
8 >>> no
9 >>> longer afraid of it taking over and devouring the linux world.
12 >> If systemd truly is, as you say "taking over and devouring the linux
13 >> world"
16 > *I* never said that. Others have though, and some still apparently believe
17 > this to be the case. Admittedly it is those voices that prompted me to start
18 > this thread. I wanted to get opinions from other list members about how
19 > systemd is/will/should impact the gentoo community, and I'm glad I did. The
20 > result is that I now no longer believe most of the negatives being spread
21 > about systemd, and no longer fear that it is 'taking over and devouring the
22 > linux world'.
23
24 That's a hypothetical. I'm pointing out that, whatever the situation is, the
25 reasoning and its justification is backwards. Hence the IF.
26
27 It is one thing entirely to say you don't like some software, and another thing
28 entirely to obligate everyone else in the world to never depend on it.
29
30 Your preference of uclibc doesn't obligate every C project in the world to
31 disavow glibc.
32
33 Your preference of firefox doesn't obligate every desktop environment in
34 the world to disavow chromium.
35
36 Your preference of openrc doesn't obligate every package maintainer in
37 the world to disavow systemd.
38
39 Hence the general case above. If you want to use foo without using bar,
40 but the upstream and package maintainers of foo want to use bar, then
41 it's _your_ responsibility to make foo work without bar. PERIOD.
42
43 You were making it sound like it's the responsibility of the developers of
44 bar to package versions of foo that don't depend on bar. This is madness.
45
46 > Thankfully there is no problem then, since no one is pushing for 'a system
47 > with no systemd whatsoever', beyond what exists already.
48
49 We seem to be reading different mailing lists. The same tinfoilers have
50 been practically whining for this like it's systemd's fault.
51 --
52 This email is: [ ] actionable [ ] fyi [x] social
53 Response needed: [ ] yes [x] up to you [ ] no
54 Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [ ] soon [x] none