From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 14:51:07
1 On 2014-02-21 9:28 AM, Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > It is one thing entirely to say you don't like some software, and
3 > another thing entirely to obligate everyone else in the world to
4 > never depend on it.
5
6 All myself and others have been insisting on is that systemd proponents
7 be prevented from unilaterally creating some kind of dependenc[y][ies]
8 whereby, through that backdoor, they create a situation where the
9 *current* *default* init system must be switched.
10
11 > Your preference of uclibc doesn't obligate every C project in the
12 > world to disavow glibc.
13 >
14 > Your preference of firefox doesn't obligate every desktop
15 > environment in the world to disavow chromium.
16
17 And your preference for systemd doesn't obligate your distro of choice
18 to change to it as the *default* init system.
19
20 > Your preference of openrc doesn't obligate every package maintainer
21 > in the world to disavow systemd.
22
23 No one is asking for that.
24
25 Again, we are just insisting that systemd proponents be prevented from
26 forcing gentoo into a situation where we are *forced* to switch to
27 systemd for the *default* init system.
28
29 > Hence the general case above. If you want to use foo without using
30 > bar, but the upstream and package maintainers of foo want to use
31 > bar, then it's _your_ responsibility to make foo work without bar.
32 > PERIOD.
33
34 I agree... so, if *you* want to use systemd, it is *your* reponsibility
35 to make systemd work without impacting existing gentoo users *or* the
36 fact that gentoo has selected OpenRC as it's default init system.
37
38 > You were making it sound like it's the responsibility of the
39 > developers of bar to package versions of foo that don't depend on
40 > bar. This is madness.
41
42 Nope, and you are missing the point.
43
44 This isn't about individual packages. It is about one of the choices
45 that *Distro's* must make - in this case, regarding something very
46 significant (the choice of what to use as the default init system).
47
48 We, again, are simply insisting that it is the responsibility of the
49 developers of systemd to *not* create situations where they *force*
50 other distro's into *impossible* *situations* where they are *forced* to
51 switch their init systems or have basic system packages stop working.
52
53 The best way for gentoo, as a distro, to protect its users and it's
54 ecosystem, is to provide a sane, managed approach for systemd proponents
55 to get systemd added to gentoo as a formally supported *optional* init
56 system.
57
58 Then, and only then, can it be judged on its *merits*, and then and
59 *only* then should it (imnsho) ever be considered as a potential
60 candidate for being made a new *default*.