From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 05:54:30
1 On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 11:36:15 +0800 Mark David Dumlao wrote:
2 [...]
3 > > So, please, don't take it as an insult. In fact you have done a very good
4 > > job of patiently spelling out the advantages of systemd, to the point I'm no
5 > > longer afraid of it taking over and devouring the linux world.
6 >
7 > If systemd truly is, as you say "taking over and devouring the linux world"
8 > such that the majority of distro maintainers are individually choosing
9 > to use a feature or two from it, then yes, it definitely is the job of people
10 > who want to opt out of it to do the work.
11 >
12 > If Gnome wants systemd, and you don't, but you want to continue using
13 > Gnome, it's _your_ job to look for a method or patch or package or script
14 > that makes it work.
15
16 1. I do _not_ want to use Gnome (and never used it) as DE.
17 2. Someone called Lennart was a long-time Gnome contributor before
18 Gnome required systemd without alternative. Coincidence? I don't
19 believe in them. I trust probabilities and statistics.
20
21 > If udev wants systemd, and you don't, but you want to continue using
22 > udev, it's _your_ job to look for a method or patch or package or script
23 > that makes it work.
24
25 We have eudev fork which is clean from systemd crapware and works
26 perfectly on production setutps.
27
28 > If foo wants systemd, and you don't, but you want to continue using
29 > foo, it's _your_ job to look for a method or patch or package or script
30 > that makes it work.
31 >
32 > If everybody else wants to use systemd but you, it's your job to keep
33 > your system working the way you want to.
34
35 Nobody else requires systemd mandatory now as to my knowledge.
36
37 > Nobody's going to go out of their way to specifically and targettedly break
38 > your system, because you don't like their way. However, you can co-opt
39 > some package maintainer's way and say he's obligated to make a
40 > "pure" and "systemd uncorrupted" system for you. Because he's not.
41 >
42 > > Bottom line: since Gentoo's default and primary init system is (and
43 > > hopefully will be for a very long time) OpenRC, it is on the systemd folks
44 > > to do the work to get systemd fully supported.
47 > systemd IS supported and working. The problem arises when there are
48 > people that want to push for a "system with no systemd whatsoever"
49 > and act like it's the systemd maintainer's job to make that happen.
50
51 OpenRC is default in Gentoo now, and it is my best hope it will be.
52 Thus anyone willing to use something else should do an appropriate
53 job.
54
55 Best regards,
56 Andrew Savchenko