From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [poll] What is your session state?
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2014 22:44:28
1 Recent threads about consolekit vs logind(systemd) have made me curious, so
2 I've been studying...
3
4 A few of us have had recent problems with things like plugging USB sticks,
5 which once worked transparently but now require root privileges.
6
7 I've discovered that my own such problems are caused by this:
8
9 $loginctl show-session 1 (I have only one session, cleverly named '1')
10
11 Id=1
12 Timestamp=Sun 2014-02-09 07:18:32 PST
13 TimestampMonotonic=389744251
14 VTNr=1
15 TTY=/dev/tty1
16 Remote=no
17 Service=login
18 Scope=session-1.scope
19 Leader=426
20 Audit=1
21 Type=tty
22 Class=user
23 Active=no <========================= should be 'yes'
24 State=online <======================= should be 'active'
25
26 Users of consolekit, don't feel neglected. You should try this instead:
27
28 $ck-list-sessions
29 Session1:
30 unix-user = '1001'
31 realname = '(null)'
32 seat = 'Seat2'
33 session-type = ''
34 active = FALSE (correct because I'm ssh'd into a remote box)
35 x11-display = ':0'
36 x11-display-device = '/dev/tty2'
37 display-device = '/dev/tty1'
38 remote-host-name = ''
39 is-local = FALSE
40 on-since = '2014-02-09T22:00:10.750312Z'
41 login-session-id = '1'
42
43 Canek explained that the reason my session is not 'active' is that I'm
44 not using a Display Manager (gdm kdm lightdm), which talks to logind or
45 consolekit and vouches for my physical presence at the local keyboard.
46
47 However, when I do the same thing on arch linux (as a virtualbox guest)
48 I see that my session (running gnome) is 'active' and I have no trouble
49 powering off the virtual machine as an unprivileged user.
50
51 Any ideas how I can fix it?
52
53 BTW, this helped me to understand some of the buzzwords I used above:
54
55 http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/multiseat/