From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [poll] What is your session state?
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 02:06:51
1 On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 4:43 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Recent threads about consolekit vs logind(systemd) have made me curious, so
3 > I've been studying...
4 >
5 > A few of us have had recent problems with things like plugging USB sticks,
6 > which once worked transparently but now require root privileges.
7 >
8 > I've discovered that my own such problems are caused by this:
9 >
10 > $loginctl show-session 1 (I have only one session, cleverly named '1')
11 >
12 > Id=1
13 > Timestamp=Sun 2014-02-09 07:18:32 PST
14 > TimestampMonotonic=389744251
15 > VTNr=1
16 > TTY=/dev/tty1
17 > Remote=no
18 > Service=login
19 > Scope=session-1.scope
20 > Leader=426
21 > Audit=1
22 > Type=tty
23 > Class=user
24 > Active=no <========================= should be 'yes'
25 > State=online <======================= should be 'active'
26 >
27 > Users of consolekit, don't feel neglected. You should try this instead:
28 >
29 > $ck-list-sessions
30 > Session1:
31 > unix-user = '1001'
32 > realname = '(null)'
33 > seat = 'Seat2'
34 > session-type = ''
35 > active = FALSE (correct because I'm ssh'd into a remote box)
36 > x11-display = ':0'
37 > x11-display-device = '/dev/tty2'
38 > display-device = '/dev/tty1'
39 > remote-host-name = ''
40 > is-local = FALSE
41 > on-since = '2014-02-09T22:00:10.750312Z'
42 > login-session-id = '1'
43 >
44 > Canek explained that the reason my session is not 'active' is that I'm
45 > not using a Display Manager (gdm kdm lightdm), which talks to logind or
46 > consolekit and vouches for my physical presence at the local keyboard.
47 >
48 > However, when I do the same thing on arch linux (as a virtualbox guest)
49 > I see that my session (running gnome) is 'active' and I have no trouble
50 > powering off the virtual machine as an unprivileged user.
51
52 Hi Walt; since I already have GNOME 3+systemd, I decided to install
53 Xfce. Given that all the plumbing is essentially the same for both
54 desktops, it took less than 15 minutes for portage to emerge it (13
55 small packages).
56
57 I started it like you, with "exec startxcfe4" in my $HOME/.xinitrc.
58 Boy, I had forgotten how desktops looked at the start of the century.
59
60 Anyway, I had exactly the same problem as you; I needed my root
61 password to mount USB sticks or shutdown the machine. My session was
62 Active=no, State=online.
63
64 As I suspected, if I started Xfce through gdm, everything worked
65 without any issue; session was Active=yes, State=active, and my root
66 password was not required for anything. So one workaround is to
67 install gdm, but that is ugly (and unnecessary, see below).
68
69 > Any ideas how I can fix it?
70
71 Yeah, I found the solution on the net:
72
73 http://blog.falconindy.com/articles/back-to-basics-with-x-and-systemd.html
74
75 Basically, invoke startx passing Xorg the option of which VT you want
76 to "transfer" for your X11 session:
77
78 startx -- vt01
79
80 Obviously, that only works if you are in VT 1 (Alt-F1).
81
82 > BTW, this helped me to understand some of the buzzwords I used above:
83 >
84 > http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/multiseat/
85
86 I owe you an apology Walter; I just assumed you had configured
87 something wrong. I'm just getting used to the fact that with GNOME
88 3+systemd everything kinda works immediately. Sorry.
89
90 With the above solution, everything works with Xfce without asking for
91 authentication... except adding printers, I suppose.
92
93 Regards.
94
95 PS: Inside Xfce (which looks surprisingly similar to GNOME 2), I kept
96 doing the same thing I do on a Mac or Windows machine; pressing the
97 windows key to bring up the shell overview. I really don't understand
98 how could I get any work done before using GNOME Shell.
99 --
100 Canek Peláez Valdés