From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [poll] What is your session state?
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 00:03:41
1 On 02/09/2014 06:06 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 4:43 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Recent threads about consolekit vs logind(systemd) have made me curious, so
4 >> I've been studying...
5 >>
6 >> A few of us have had recent problems with things like plugging USB sticks,
7 >> which once worked transparently but now require root privileges.
8 >>
9 >> I've discovered that my own such problems are caused by this:
10 >>
11 >> $loginctl show-session 1 (I have only one session, cleverly named '1')
12 >>
13 >> Id=1
14 >> Timestamp=Sun 2014-02-09 07:18:32 PST
15 >> TimestampMonotonic=389744251
16 >> VTNr=1
17 >> TTY=/dev/tty1
18 >> Remote=no
19 >> Service=login
20 >> Scope=session-1.scope
21 >> Leader=426
22 >> Audit=1
23 >> Type=tty
24 >> Class=user
25 >> Active=no <========================= should be 'yes'
26 >> State=online <======================= should be 'active'
27 >>
28 >> Users of consolekit, don't feel neglected. You should try this instead:
29 >>
30 >> $ck-list-sessions
31 >> Session1:
32 >> unix-user = '1001'
33 >> realname = '(null)'
34 >> seat = 'Seat2'
35 >> session-type = ''
36 >> active = FALSE (correct because I'm ssh'd into a remote box)
37 >> x11-display = ':0'
38 >> x11-display-device = '/dev/tty2'
39 >> display-device = '/dev/tty1'
40 >> remote-host-name = ''
41 >> is-local = FALSE
42 >> on-since = '2014-02-09T22:00:10.750312Z'
43 >> login-session-id = '1'
44 >>
45 >> Canek explained that the reason my session is not 'active' is that I'm
46 >> not using a Display Manager (gdm kdm lightdm), which talks to logind or
47 >> consolekit and vouches for my physical presence at the local keyboard.
48 >>
49 >> However, when I do the same thing on arch linux (as a virtualbox guest)
50 >> I see that my session (running gnome) is 'active' and I have no trouble
51 >> powering off the virtual machine as an unprivileged user.
52 >
53 > Hi Walt; since I already have GNOME 3+systemd, I decided to install
54 > Xfce. Given that all the plumbing is essentially the same for both
55 > desktops, it took less than 15 minutes for portage to emerge it (13
56 > small packages).
57 >
58 > I started it like you, with "exec startxcfe4" in my $HOME/.xinitrc.
59 > Boy, I had forgotten how desktops looked at the start of the century.
60
61 Which century? :p
64 > Anyway, I had exactly the same problem as you; I needed my root
65 > password to mount USB sticks or shutdown the machine. My session was
66 > Active=no, State=online.
67 >
68 > As I suspected, if I started Xfce through gdm, everything worked
69 > without any issue; session was Active=yes, State=active, and my root
70 > password was not required for anything. So one workaround is to
71 > install gdm, but that is ugly (and unnecessary, see below).
72 >
73 >> Any ideas how I can fix it?
74 >
75 > Yeah, I found the solution on the net:
76 >
77 > http://blog.falconindy.com/articles/back-to-basics-with-x-and-systemd.html
78
79 Thank you!
82 > Basically, invoke startx passing Xorg the option of which VT you want
83 > to "transfer" for your X11 session:
84 >
85 > startx -- vt01
86 >
87 > Obviously, that only works if you are in VT 1 (Alt-F1).
88
89 What an obvious fix, once you understand the underlying problem.
90
91 BTW (thinking seat0) I typed "startx --vt0" That was interesting.
92 (But not recommended :)
93
94 > I owe you an apology Walter; I just assumed you had configured
95 > something wrong. I'm just getting used to the fact that with GNOME
96 > 3+systemd everything kinda works immediately. Sorry.
97
98 No problem Canek. I'd never have got this far without your suggestions
99 and hints.
100
101 > I really don't understand
102 > how could I get any work done before using GNOME Shell.
103
104 Hmm. I think by 3.12 I'll be ready to give it another try. Meanwhile
105 I'll stick to an earlier century :)