From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 05:30:51
1 On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 8:05 PM, Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
2 [ snip ]
3 > How can you be sure if something is "large enough" if, as you say below,
4 > you do not care about probabilities?
5
6 By writing correct code?
7
8 >> > SysVinit code size is about 10 000 lines of code, OpenRC contains
9 >> > about 13 000 lines, systemd — about 200 000 lines.
10 >>
11 >> If you take into account the thousands of shell code that SysV and
12 >> OpenRC need to fill the functionality of systemd, they use even more.
13 >>
14 >> Also, again, systemd have a lot of little binaries, many of them
15 >> optional. The LOC of PID 1 is actually closer to SysV (although still
16 >> bigger).
17 >>
18 >> > Even assuming
19 >> > systemd code is as mature as sysvinit or openrc (though I doubt
20 >> > this) you can calculate probabilities of segfaults yourself easily.
21 >>
22 >> I don't care about probabilities;
23 >
24 > If you do not care (= do not now anything) about probabilities
25 > (and mathematics, in general), you just unable to understand
26 > that debugging a program with 200K lines of code take
27 >
28 > 200000!/(10000!)^20
29 >
30 > more time than debugging of 20 different programs with 10K lines of
31 > code. You can try to calculate that number yourself but I quite sure
32 > that if the latter can take, say, 20 days, the former can take
33 > millions of years.
34 >
35 > It is all the probability! Or, to be more precise, combinatorics.
36
37 My PhD thesis (which I will defend in a few weeks) is in computer
38 science, specifically computational geometry and combinatorics.
39
40 But hey, thanks for the lesson.
41
42 >> I care about facts: FACT, I've been using systemd since 2010,
43 >> in several machines, and I haven't had a single segfault.
44 >
45 > Have you ever tried forex? If yes, you should have been warned
46 > that "no past performance guarantee the future one."
47
48 I never said that. I trust the quality of the code, measured by my own
49 judgment and bug reports, etc. Not past performance.
50
51 And even if a bug goes by, then what? The world will end?
52
53 No, the bug will be reported, and fixed. And life will go on.
54
55 > And if you do not believe that (and do not care about probability
56 > and all the stuff like that), you should visit any of the forex forums
57 > where you will be suggested a magical money winning strategy that, in
58 > the past, behaved very well and earned 200 or even 500% a month.
59
60 Thanks for the tip, but I have never understood the people that
61 believes economics is closer to mathematics than sociology.
62
63 >> FACT: almost no bug report in systemd involves a
64 >> segfault in PID 1.
65 >>
66 >> >> >> All of them are different tools providing one capability to
67 >> >> >> systemd as a whole. So systemd is a collection of tools, where
68 >> >> >> each one does one thing, and it does it well.
69 >> >> >>
70 >> >> >> By your definition, systemd perfectly follows "the unix way".
71 >> >> >>
72 >> >> >
73 >> >> > no, it isn't.
74 >> >> >
75 >> >> > How are those binaries talk to each other?
76 >> >>
77 >> >> dbus, which is about to be integrated into the kernel with kdbus.
78 >> >
79 >> > And this is a very, very bad idea. Looks like you don't know matter
80 >> > at all: to begin with kdbus protocol is NOT compatible dbus and
81 >> > special converter daemon will be needed to enable dbus to talk to
82 >> > kdbus.
83 >>
84 >> kdbus uses a different wire protocol than dbus; but for clients that
85 >> doesn't matter; libsystemd-dbus will offer a compatibility layer (talk
86 >> about "standard" and "replaceable"), so if your application uses dbus
87 >> today, it will work with kdbus.
88 >>
89 >> Of course, new applications will take advantage of the new features
90 >> of kdbus.
91 >>
92 >> > The
93 >> > whole kdbus technology is very questionable itself (and was
94 >> > forcefully pushed by RH devs),
95 >>
96 >> Sorry, but it's you who doesn't know the matter at hand: kdbus was
97 >> (and is) written by Greg Kroah-Hartman, Linus' right hand, and who
98 >> works for the Linux Foundation.
99 >
100 > Lol, he seems to start to use the arguments like "You even do not know
101 > my elder brother/acquaintance from the street nearby who can easily
102 > hit you down!"
103
104 If you don't think Greg's words have any weight in a Linux-related
105 technical discussion, then I'm afraid we will need to agree to
106 disagree on any technical subject.
107
108 > So, here, I would like to thank everybody in this discussion who
109 > helped me to understand the danger of systemd and note that it is
110 > now became pointless to continue this discussion with this "unpayed
111 > systemd promoter."
112
113 Getting personal, are we?
114
115 >> > anyway it is possible to disable this
116 >> > stuff in kernel and guess what will be done on my systems.
117 >>
118 >> Good for you. Guess what will be done in mine?
119 >>
120 >> >> > Looks broken. Broken by design. The worst form of broken.
121 >> >>
122 >> >> By your opinion, not others.
123 >> >
124 >> > That is not just an opinion. There is a science and experience
125 >> > behind system's design.
126 >>
127 >> Yeah, what do you think about Greg Kroah-Hartman, Linus' right hand,
128 >> or Keith Packard of X.org fame? None of them works for Red Hat; both
129 >> of them know more about Unix and Linux than you and me together, and
130 >> both of them promote systemd.
131 >
132 > Aha! How could you even doubt my understanding the words of these prophets! :-)
133
134 They, contrary to you, actually give technical arguments instead of
135 splutter some nonsense about combinatorics that has nothing to do with
136 the subject at hand.
137
138 >> I mean, I myself know a thing or two about computing and Linux, and I
139 >> promote systemd (and nobody pays me, BTW), but obviously you don't
140 >> need to believe in my credentials.
141 >
142 > I have said you, he is just an unpayed fanatic systemd promoter!
143
144 OK, that's it; I actually thought for a moment that you wanted to have
145 a civil, intelligent and technical oriented conversation. I now see
146 you don't.
147
148 >> And, no offense, but I will always give more weight to the words of
149 >> Greg Kroah-Hartman or Keith Packard (to name only two), instead of a
150 >> random user in gentoo-user.
151 >>
152 >> There are knowledgeable people who are against systemd. But usually
153 >> they don't give *technical* sound reasons.
154 >>
155 >> > And all that science was ignored during systemd
156 >> > architecture process if there was any at all.
157 >>
158 >> You should read systemd-devel and Lennart's blog posts
159 >
160 > And A Holy Words of our Mighty God!
161
162 And that confirms it. Goodbye; I'm done with you in this thread.
163
164 Regards.
165 --
166 Canek Peláez Valdés