From: Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 13:59:05
1 On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 23:30:42 -0600
2 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 8:05 PM, Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > [ snip ]
6 > > How can you be sure if something is "large enough" if, as you say
7 > > below, you do not care about probabilities?
8 >
9 > By writing correct code?
10
11 No, by arguing that fixing bugs in a 200K line program is as easy as
12 fixing a bug in 20 10K line programs. It is just not true, just the
13 opposite.
14
15 > >> > SysVinit code size is about 10 000 lines of code, OpenRC contains
16 > >> > about 13 000 lines, systemd — about 200 000 lines.
17 > >>
18 > >> If you take into account the thousands of shell code that SysV and
19 > >> OpenRC need to fill the functionality of systemd, they use even
20 > >> more.
21 > >>
22 > >> Also, again, systemd have a lot of little binaries, many of them
23 > >> optional. The LOC of PID 1 is actually closer to SysV (although
24 > >> still bigger).
25 > >>
26 > >> > Even assuming
27 > >> > systemd code is as mature as sysvinit or openrc (though I doubt
28 > >> > this) you can calculate probabilities of segfaults yourself
29 > >> > easily.
30 > >>
31 > >> I don't care about probabilities;
32 > >
33 > > If you do not care (= do not now anything) about probabilities
34 > > (and mathematics, in general), you just unable to understand
35 > > that debugging a program with 200K lines of code take
36 > >
37 > > 200000!/(10000!)^20
38 > >
39 > > more time than debugging of 20 different programs with 10K lines of
40 > > code. You can try to calculate that number yourself but I quite sure
41 > > that if the latter can take, say, 20 days, the former can take
42 > > millions of years.
43 > >
44 > > It is all the probability! Or, to be more precise, combinatorics.
45 >
46 > My PhD thesis (which I will defend in a few weeks) is in computer
47 > science, specifically computational geometry and combinatorics.
48
49 It is even more shameful for you to not understand such a simple facts
50 from elementary probability theory (which is mostly based on
51 combinatorics).
52
53 And, believe me, here, in this mailing list, there are a lot people
54 that have there PhD defended a long time ago. However, they do not
55 thing it is appropriate to use such facts in their arguments about
56 merits or "dismerits" of one or the other approach to computer
57 programming.
58
59 > But hey, thanks for the lesson.
60
61 Not at all.
62
63 > >> I care about facts: FACT, I've been using systemd since 2010,
64 > >> in several machines, and I haven't had a single segfault.
65 > >
66 > > Have you ever tried forex? If yes, you should have been warned
67 > > that "no past performance guarantee the future one."
68 >
69 > I never said that. I trust the quality of the code, measured by my own
70 > judgment and bug reports, etc. Not past performance.
71 >
72 > And even if a bug goes by, then what? The world will end?
73 >
74 > No, the bug will be reported, and fixed. And life will go on.
75 >
76 > > And if you do not believe that (and do not care about probability
77 > > and all the stuff like that), you should visit any of the forex
78 > > forums where you will be suggested a magical money winning strategy
79 > > that, in the past, behaved very well and earned 200 or even 500% a
80 > > month.
81 >
82 > Thanks for the tip, but I have never understood the people that
83 > believes economics is closer to mathematics than sociology.
84 >
85 > >> FACT: almost no bug report in systemd involves a
86 > >> segfault in PID 1.
87 > >>
88 > >> >> >> All of them are different tools providing one capability to
89 > >> >> >> systemd as a whole. So systemd is a collection of tools,
90 > >> >> >> where each one does one thing, and it does it well.
91 > >> >> >>
92 > >> >> >> By your definition, systemd perfectly follows "the unix way".
93 > >> >> >>
94 > >> >> >
95 > >> >> > no, it isn't.
96 > >> >> >
97 > >> >> > How are those binaries talk to each other?
98 > >> >>
99 > >> >> dbus, which is about to be integrated into the kernel with
100 > >> >> kdbus.
101 > >> >
102 > >> > And this is a very, very bad idea. Looks like you don't know
103 > >> > matter at all: to begin with kdbus protocol is NOT compatible
104 > >> > dbus and special converter daemon will be needed to enable dbus
105 > >> > to talk to kdbus.
106 > >>
107 > >> kdbus uses a different wire protocol than dbus; but for clients
108 > >> that doesn't matter; libsystemd-dbus will offer a compatibility
109 > >> layer (talk about "standard" and "replaceable"), so if your
110 > >> application uses dbus today, it will work with kdbus.
111 > >>
112 > >> Of course, new applications will take advantage of the new features
113 > >> of kdbus.
114 > >>
115 > >> > The
116 > >> > whole kdbus technology is very questionable itself (and was
117 > >> > forcefully pushed by RH devs),
118 > >>
119 > >> Sorry, but it's you who doesn't know the matter at hand: kdbus was
120 > >> (and is) written by Greg Kroah-Hartman, Linus' right hand, and who
121 > >> works for the Linux Foundation.
122 > >
123 > > Lol, he seems to start to use the arguments like "You even do not
124 > > know my elder brother/acquaintance from the street nearby who can
125 > > easily hit you down!"
126 >
127 > If you don't think Greg's words have any weight in a Linux-related
128 > technical discussion, then I'm afraid we will need to agree to
129 > disagree on any technical subject.
130 >
131 > > So, here, I would like to thank everybody in this discussion who
132 > > helped me to understand the danger of systemd and note that it is
133 > > now became pointless to continue this discussion with this "unpayed
134 > > systemd promoter."
135 >
136 > Getting personal, are we?
137
138 I am really sorry for getting personal here, but it was only because
139 your level of argumentation went far below any acceptable level and
140 it became absolutely clear that you continue to argue only because
141 you do not want to accept that you are wrong and, moreover, it already
142 looks like you are trying to sell to others the thing that they do not
143 want to buy.
144
145 > >> > anyway it is possible to disable this
146 > >> > stuff in kernel and guess what will be done on my systems.
147 > >>
148 > >> Good for you. Guess what will be done in mine?
149 > >>
150 > >> >> > Looks broken. Broken by design. The worst form of broken.
151 > >> >>
152 > >> >> By your opinion, not others.
153 > >> >
154 > >> > That is not just an opinion. There is a science and experience
155 > >> > behind system's design.
156 > >>
157 > >> Yeah, what do you think about Greg Kroah-Hartman, Linus' right
158 > >> hand, or Keith Packard of X.org fame? None of them works for Red
159 > >> Hat; both of them know more about Unix and Linux than you and me
160 > >> together, and both of them promote systemd.
161 > >
162 > > Aha! How could you even doubt my understanding the words of these
163 > > prophets! :-)
164 >
165 > They, contrary to you, actually give technical arguments instead of
166 > splutter some nonsense about combinatorics that has nothing to do with
167 > the subject at hand.
168 >
169 > >> I mean, I myself know a thing or two about computing and Linux,
170 > >> and I promote systemd (and nobody pays me, BTW), but obviously you
171 > >> don't need to believe in my credentials.
172 > >
173 > > I have said you, he is just an unpayed fanatic systemd promoter!
174 >
175 > OK, that's it; I actually thought for a moment that you wanted to have
176 > a civil, intelligent and technical oriented conversation. I now see
177 > you don't.
178
179 Once more, I am really sorry for getting personal here, but it was only
180 because your level of argumentation went far below any acceptable level
181 and it became absolutely clear that you continue to argue only because
182 you do not want to accept that you are wrong and, moreover, it already
183 looks like you are trying to sell to others the thing that they do not
184 want to buy.
185
186 > >> And, no offense, but I will always give more weight to the words of
187 > >> Greg Kroah-Hartman or Keith Packard (to name only two), instead of
188 > >> a random user in gentoo-user.
189 > >>
190 > >> There are knowledgeable people who are against systemd. But usually
191 > >> they don't give *technical* sound reasons.
192 > >>
193 > >> > And all that science was ignored during systemd
194 > >> > architecture process if there was any at all.
195 > >>
196 > >> You should read systemd-devel and Lennart's blog posts
197 > >
198 > > And A Holy Words of our Mighty God!
199 >
200 > And that confirms it. Goodbye; I'm done with you in this thread.
201 >
202 > Regards.