From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: VirtualBox failed to rebuild
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2017 14:32:51
1 On January 7, 2017 3:06:26 PM GMT+01:00, gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >2017-01-07 15:19 GMT+02:00 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
3 >> On 07/01/2017 15:01, gevisz wrote:
4 >>> The installed version fails to launch Win7x64
5 >>> with the following messages:
6 >>>
7 >>> Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Win7x64.
8 >>>
9 >>> The virtual machine 'Win7x64' has terminated unexpectedly during
10 >>> startup with exit code 1 (0x1).
11 >>>
12 >>>
13 >>> Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
14 >>
15 >> please post lsmod
16 >
17 ># lsmod
18 >Module Size Used by
19 >kvm_amd 50171 0
20 >kvm 431785 1 kvm_amd
21 >irqbypass 2680 1 kvm
22 >
23 >> Do you have the vbox modules listed in /etc/conf/d/modules to
24 >autoload?
25 >
26 >If you meant /etc/conf.d/modules, it contains the following:
27 ># Added for VirtualBox:
28 >modules="vboxdrv vboxpci vboxnetadp vboxnetflt"
29 >
30 >> Did you recompile the vbox modules after upgrading vbox for the
31 >current
32 >> running kernel?
33 >
34 >Yes, I have recompiled app-emulation/virtualbox-modules-4.3.38
35 >several times today, and it recompiled without errors.
36 >
37 >>> The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded
38 >>> or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall
39 >>> the kernel module by executing
40 >>>
41 >>> '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'
42 >>
43 >> this will not work, that file does not exist on Gentoo.
44 >
45 >Yes, this file does not exists, but I have tried to do what
46 >the error message from VirtualBox suggested.
47 >
48 >> It's probably a hard-coded vbox-ism that does not apply here
51 >>>
52 >>> as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install
53 >>> the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel
54 >>> changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.
55 >>>
56 >>> as well. :(
57 >>>
58 >>> Earlier, that is, before a few updates everything worked well.
59 >>>
60 >>> # /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
61 >>> bash: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv: No such file or directory
62 >>>
63 >>> $ eix dkms
64 >>
65 >> No man. A simple google search would have told you this is a
66 >> Debian/Ubuntu feature and has NOTHING to do with Gentoo.
67 >
68 >Again, I have just tried to do what the error message from VirtualBox
69 >suggested.
70 >
71 >> It rebuilds modules on debian. The gentoo way is
72 >>
73 >> emerge @module-rebuild
74 >
75 >This does not help.
76 >
77 >> and you should see it build vbox modules
78 >
79 >Yes, it does rebuild app-emulation/virtualbox-modules-4.3.38
80 >but it does not help.
81 >
82 >> --
83 >> Alan McKinnon
84 >> alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
88 Try manually installing all the modules:
89
90 # modprobe <modulename>
91
92 The list of modules are in that modules line.
95 Joost
96 --
97 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.