From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: VirtualBox failed to rebuild
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2017 14:06:50
1 2017-01-07 15:19 GMT+02:00 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
2 > On 07/01/2017 15:01, gevisz wrote:
3 >> The installed version fails to launch Win7x64
4 >> with the following messages:
5 >>
6 >> Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Win7x64.
7 >>
8 >> The virtual machine 'Win7x64' has terminated unexpectedly during
9 >> startup with exit code 1 (0x1).
12 >> Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
13 >
14 > please post lsmod
15
16 # lsmod
17 Module Size Used by
18 kvm_amd 50171 0
19 kvm 431785 1 kvm_amd
20 irqbypass 2680 1 kvm
21
22 > Do you have the vbox modules listed in /etc/conf/d/modules to autoload?
23
24 If you meant /etc/conf.d/modules, it contains the following:
25 # Added for VirtualBox:
26 modules="vboxdrv vboxpci vboxnetadp vboxnetflt"
27
28 > Did you recompile the vbox modules after upgrading vbox for the current
29 > running kernel?
30
31 Yes, I have recompiled app-emulation/virtualbox-modules-4.3.38
32 several times today, and it recompiled without errors.
33
34 >> The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded
35 >> or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall
36 >> the kernel module by executing
37 >>
38 >> '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'
39 >
40 > this will not work, that file does not exist on Gentoo.
41
42 Yes, this file does not exists, but I have tried to do what
43 the error message from VirtualBox suggested.
44
45 > It's probably a hard-coded vbox-ism that does not apply here
49 >> as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install
50 >> the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel
51 >> changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.
52 >>
53 >> as well. :(
54 >>
55 >> Earlier, that is, before a few updates everything worked well.
56 >>
57 >> # /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
58 >> bash: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv: No such file or directory
59 >>
60 >> $ eix dkms
61 >
62 > No man. A simple google search would have told you this is a
63 > Debian/Ubuntu feature and has NOTHING to do with Gentoo.
64
65 Again, I have just tried to do what the error message from VirtualBox suggested.
66
67 > It rebuilds modules on debian. The gentoo way is
68 >
69 > emerge @module-rebuild
70
71 This does not help.
72
73 > and you should see it build vbox modules
74
75 Yes, it does rebuild app-emulation/virtualbox-modules-4.3.38
76 but it does not help.
77
78 > --
79 > Alan McKinnon