From: Julien Cabillot <jcabillot@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Video Card of Death! (Yes its on topic.)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 19:51:52
1 I have Xorg7.1 & ati-drivers, that's work fine.
2
3 On 8/15/06, Neil Isaac <isaac.neil@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > On 8/15/06, Ian Kabeary <omega21@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > >
7 > > Hi there,
8 > > My laptop has a Radeon 9100. Toshiba advertised a 9000 so at the time I
9 > was
10 > > happy. Then I realized that the proprietary ATi drivers dont give this
11 > card
12 > > 3d acceleration, which it is totally capable of. Anyway, I tried the
13 > wiki
14 > > instructions on getting this card to work but they are quite cryptic the
15 > way
16 > > they have written them. It kind of branches off into three different
17 > ways of
18 > > doing it, but you never know what reading to skip and what to do.
19 > >
20 > > I got reasonably far. What I did was take the support for the direct
21 > > rendering manager out of the kernel, while including the Radeon driver
22 > and
23 > > other associated things. For the purposes of this support request, I do
24 > not
25 > > believe they are completely relevant. After doing what I think it was
26 > that I
27 > > should do, I started X. (I have 7.1.1 by the way). What I end up with is
28 > > that it cant find the drivers because the version of the radeon driver
29 > > version doesn't match the server version or something? I have no idea
30 > what
31 > > that means.
32 > >
33 > > Projects use waaaay different versioning systems. Seriously, I have no
34 > clue
35 > > what its going on about! :) Is this a cryptic way of saying the driver
36 > wants
37 > > Xorg < 7.0?
38 >
39 > Xorg 7.0 should be fine. Nvidia and ati have not released drivers that
40 > work with 7.1 yet. In my experience, ati drivers are hell to get
41 > working (I never did get them working in the end - but I do have
42 > friends who have gotten them up and running) so I wish you luck.
43 >
44 > --
45 > Neil Isaac
46 > isaac.neil@×××××.com