From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] what made portage go fast again?
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 13:59:23
1 Hi,
2
3 On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 14:21:23 +0100
4 Fernando Meira <fmeira@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > > You been running that du -s command to huh? It does work. I really
7 > > need it on my old 200MHz machine. Would you happen to know what that
8 > > command does? I read the man page but it didn't help much. I'm
9 > > learning though.
10 >
11 > The idea is to cache all files into memory so that a re-run through those
12 > files goes faster. The command du takes all files of the dir you provide to
13 > calculate the amount of space used. Of course, you could use any other
14 > command that runs through the files... :)
15
16 du doesn't run through the files, just the directories. But this helps
17 enough with filesystems that don't use sorted/weighted trees for the
18 directory structure.
19
20 -hwh
21 --