From: Fernando Meira <fmeira@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] what made portage go fast again?
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 13:46:25
1 On 11/1/05, Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > Fernando Meira wrote:
6 > > Have you ran some command that caches the portage dir to memory before
7 > > updating portage cache? That normally speeds up.. but then again,
8 > > maybe there were changes so that the annoying problem got fixed...
9 > >
10 > > Fernando
11 >
12 > You been running that du -s command to huh? It does work. I really
13 > need it on my old 200MHz machine. Would you happen to know what that
14 > command does? I read the man page but it didn't help much. I'm
15 > learning though.
16 >
17 > Dale
20 The idea is to cache all files into memory so that a re-run through those
21 files goes faster. The command du takes all files of the dir you provide to
22 calculate the amount of space used. Of course, you could use any other
23 command that runs through the files... :)
24 And for the record, I did not run du on my yesterday's update, mentioned in
25 my previous mail... :)
26
27 Fernando