From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New To Gentoo and Emerge, No ACPI in Kernel
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 17:03:51
1 On 3/24/06, Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > However, I don't know how to rebuild the kernel, or do so enabling
3
4 Others have covered the mechanics of building and installing the
5 kernel. Just a couple of points to try to keep you out of trouble:
6
7 1. However you install the kernel (by which I mean the bzImage gets
8 copied to /boot), make really sure you have a backup kernel, and can
9 boot from it. Something like:
10
11 cp /boot/vmlinuz-blah-blah /boot/vmlinuz-SAFE
12 cp /boot/initrd-blah-blah /boot/initrd-SAFE
13
14 and then add an entry to /boot/grub/grub.conf like so:
15
16 title Safe
17 kernel /vmlinuz-SAFE blah blah blah
18 initrd /initrd-SAFE
19
20 Then reboot to your 'Safe' kernel to make sure things work.
21
22 2. Since you are just starting out with kernel configuration, only
23 _add_ things to the kernel, don't delete any drivers, and avoid
24 modules (make everything a '*' in menuconfig, not 'M'). Once you get
25 some confidence with configuring and installing kernels, and rebooting
26 with your backup kernel, you can get more adventurous with modules or
27 removing unnecessary drivers.
28
29 -Richard
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list