From: Chuanwen Wu <wcw8410@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alsa problem
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 14:51:08
1 2007/10/13, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>:
2 > I ran into a similar problem after an update. audacious and mpg123
3 > which use ALSA, died; Realplayer and mpg321 get by with the OSS api on
4 > ALSA. revdep-rebuild didn't find anything wrong.
5 >
6 > I tried various things without success. What finally worked was the
7 > following...
8 >
9 > 1) rebuild the kernel with sound support but no ALSA support at all
10 >
11 > 2) reboot
12 >
13 > 3) add the appropriate ALSA_CARDS line to /etc/make.conf, in your case
14 > ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel"
15 >
16 > 4) emerge alsa-driver (and it probably still won't work)
17 >
18 > 5) emerge -C alsa-driver
19 >
20 > 6) rebuild the kernel with sound support and ALSA support
21 >
22 > 7) reboot
23 >
24 > 8) run alsaconf
25 >
26 > After this sequence, my ALSA sound finally started working again. I
27 > don't know what happened. A wild guess is that "make" was trying to
28 > "be efficient" and kept some code from a previous version, that doesn't
29 > work with the current version. It had to be totally removed in order
30 > to get "make" to build the new version of the code.
31 >
32 I admit that your situation is very weird. But I still don't think
33 that the old version will affect the new one.
34 > --
35 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
36 > Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?
37 > A. I think it would be a good idea.
38 > --
39 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
45 wcw
46 --