From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alsa problem
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 03:14:30
1 I ran into a similar problem after an update. audacious and mpg123
2 which use ALSA, died; Realplayer and mpg321 get by with the OSS api on
3 ALSA. revdep-rebuild didn't find anything wrong.
4
5 I tried various things without success. What finally worked was the
6 following...
7
8 1) rebuild the kernel with sound support but no ALSA support at all
9
10 2) reboot
11
12 3) add the appropriate ALSA_CARDS line to /etc/make.conf, in your case
13 ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel"
14
15 4) emerge alsa-driver (and it probably still won't work)
16
17 5) emerge -C alsa-driver
18
19 6) rebuild the kernel with sound support and ALSA support
20
21 7) reboot
22
23 8) run alsaconf
24
25 After this sequence, my ALSA sound finally started working again. I
26 don't know what happened. A wild guess is that "make" was trying to
27 "be efficient" and kept some code from a previous version, that doesn't
28 work with the current version. It had to be totally removed in order
29 to get "make" to build the new version of the code.
32 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
33 Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?
34 A. I think it would be a good idea.
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list