From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dm-crypt + ext4 = where will the journal go?
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 20:59:03
1 Am 03.09.2012 22:36, schrieb "Roland Häder":
2 > Opps, here is the missing link: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/DM-Crypt
3 >
4 > (I don't think it is a good idea to store the keyFile somewhere
5 > plain, [2] tells that there is support for crypt-gnupg, but it
6 > doesn't show any help how to setup it.
7 >
8 > [2]: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Dracut
11 No comment on dracut as I have no experience with it.
12
13 However, as I see it, you need no key file if you just use a pass
14 phrase. In my opinion, a key file is only necessary for two improvements:
15
16 1. Two-factor authentication (read: encrypted key file)
17
18 2. Avoiding re-typing the pass phrase for multiple dmcrypt partitions
19
20 You can easily achieve the second point by putting an unencrypted key
21 file on the first partition which you encrypt with a pass phrase. You
22 don't even need dracut for this, /etc/conf.d/dmcrypt lets you configure
23 it easily (as long as it doesn't affect /usr).
24
25 However, I personally find it easier to put LVM on a single dmcrypt
26 volume and be done this. All you need for this to work are two lines in
27 /etc/rc.conf:
28 rc_dmcrypt_before="lvm"
29 rc_dmcrypt_after="udev"
30