From: "Roland Häder" <r.haeder@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Aw: Re: [gentoo-user] dm-crypt + ext4 = where will the journal go?
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 21:25:22
1 > No comment on dracut as I have no experience with it.
2 Okay, so I have to try it out myself. When I found something out, I expand the wiki with it.
5 > However, as I see it, you need no key file if you just use a pass
6 > phrase. In my opinion, a key file is only necessary for two improvements:
7 Entering just a pass phrase means that this pass phrase will be used to decrypt the device, if you decrypt a key before and then with that key decrypt all your volumes you have a much better security because that key will then be used as 'pass phrase' which is *way* much stronger (4096+ chars + ~10-20 chars you can remember).
10 > 1. Two-factor authentication (read: encrypted key file)
11 >
12 > 2. Avoiding re-typing the pass phrase for multiple dmcrypt partitions
13 See above. :)
14
15 > You can easily achieve the second point by putting an unencrypted key
16 > file on the first partition which you encrypt with a pass phrase. You
17 > don't even need dracut for this, /etc/conf.d/dmcrypt lets you configure
18 > it easily (as long as it doesn't affect /usr).
19 Okay, I look into this.
22 > However, I personally find it easier to put LVM on a single dmcrypt
23 > volume and be done this. All you need for this to work are two lines in
24 > /etc/rc.conf:
25 > rc_dmcrypt_before="lvm"
26 > rc_dmcrypt_after="udev"
27 I'm new to LVM, does it setup key-based encryption (best is to put that key on an USB stick, so the attacker needs my stick).
28
29 Regards,
30 Roland