From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [FIXED] New install - Wayland and graphical login
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 11:15:07
1 On Tuesday, 29 June 2021 11:32:52 BST antlists wrote:
2 > On 29/06/2021 10:44, Michael wrote:
3
4 > > In Plasma this would be kwin, which acts as a window manager and a
5 > > compositor. If you had installed Plasma in accordance with the URL I
6 > > shared in previous emails you shouldn't have this problem, because from
7 > > what I recall kwin is being drawn in as a dependency of Plasma.
8 >
9 > And Plasma is a dependency of what? Again, this is down to me not fully
10 > understanding everything, but surely if I selected the
11 > desktop/plasma/systemd profile, that should call in the basic plasma
12 > packages by default? Maybe even the kde ones?
13
14 The make.profile choice switches on/off certain USE flags and specifies a set
15 of system packages for the particular profile. These will in turn drag in
16 other packages as dependencies when you update your system. Therefore, unless
17 you go for a minimalist make.profile you should not need to be emerging
18 packages one at a time to get a functional desktop, although you will need to
19 emerge individual applications of choice if these are not already included in
20 the DE default set of packages. More details:
21
22 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Profile_(Portage)
23
24 KDE applications are mostly grouped in meta packages. These are meant to be
25 installed selectively. For example I install 'kde-apps/kdepim-meta' because I
26 use Kmail, but will not install 'kde-apps/kdegames-meta' because I don't run
27 any games applications.
30 > (Having re-read the KDE page, it's suddenly making a lot more sense, but
31 > that's with hindsight. But am I right that the profile modifies the
32 > system set of packages?)
33
34 Yes, as I mention above, it modifies USE flags and specifies a set of system
35 packages too.
36
37 You could have started with a stripped down profile, like 'default/linux/
38 amd64/17.1/systemd (stable)' and then spend a lot of time tweaking USE flags
39 and installing various packages and meta packages to get to the same end
40 result. Thanks to Gentoo devs, all this work is no longer necessary since
41 there are more make.profile options to choose from. :-)